Jun 25, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Is Luol Deng part of the Bulls long-term plans? Management gives lip service to that idea but his name keep coming up in trade rumors.
A contract extension would lock him in and answer that questions.
So are the Bulls talking contract extension with Deng? Depends on which rumor you want to go with.
The Chicago Bulls are engaging in contract extension talks with All-Star forward Luol Deng, league sources told Yahoo! Sports…
Bulls management and Deng’s representative, Herb Rudoy, have had discussions since the end of the Bulls’ playoff run and plan to talk further in the near future, sources told Yahoo! Sports.
However, Rudoy denied that to Nick Friedell of ESPNChicago.com.
Rudoy: "We've had zero discussions about an extension (for Deng). Zero."—
Nick Friedell (@NickFriedell) June 25, 2013
Tom Thibodeau has long considered Deng a key part of what he has built with this team — Deng averaged 16.3 points and 6.3 rebounds a game while being a key part of the team’s defense — he doesn’t want the forward moved. Deng played heavy minutes this season but had to miss the final two games of the Bulls first-round victory over Brooklyn and the entire second round loss to the Heat due to a bad reaction to a spinal tap.
Deng is not going to take a discount on an extension, which makes that seem a long shot to me. There is more logic to moving him if you can get a good asset in return. By getting Deng off the books and amnestying Carlos Boozer in the summer of 2014 (they are not doing it this year) the Bulls would have the cap space to go after another big free agent to go with Rose and Noah. That may be the plan.
For now it looks as if the Bulls are considering all their options — keeping Deng or moving him to save money. Which means another summer with a whole lot of Deng rumors.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6