Jun 25, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Is Luol Deng part of the Bulls long-term plans? Management gives lip service to that idea but his name keep coming up in trade rumors.
A contract extension would lock him in and answer that questions.
So are the Bulls talking contract extension with Deng? Depends on which rumor you want to go with.
The Chicago Bulls are engaging in contract extension talks with All-Star forward Luol Deng, league sources told Yahoo! Sports…
Bulls management and Deng’s representative, Herb Rudoy, have had discussions since the end of the Bulls’ playoff run and plan to talk further in the near future, sources told Yahoo! Sports.
However, Rudoy denied that to Nick Friedell of ESPNChicago.com.
Tom Thibodeau has long considered Deng a key part of what he has built with this team — Deng averaged 16.3 points and 6.3 rebounds a game while being a key part of the team’s defense — he doesn’t want the forward moved. Deng played heavy minutes this season but had to miss the final two games of the Bulls first-round victory over Brooklyn and the entire second round loss to the Heat due to a bad reaction to a spinal tap.
Deng is not going to take a discount on an extension, which makes that seem a long shot to me. There is more logic to moving him if you can get a good asset in return. By getting Deng off the books and amnestying Carlos Boozer in the summer of 2014 (they are not doing it this year) the Bulls would have the cap space to go after another big free agent to go with Rose and Noah. That may be the plan.
For now it looks as if the Bulls are considering all their options — keeping Deng or moving him to save money. Which means another summer with a whole lot of Deng rumors.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11