Columnist who wrote a piece critical of John Wall’s tattoos appears on the Dan Patrick Show to explain (VIDEO)

Jun 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT

Jason Reid of the Washington Post published a piece that was entitled, “Washington Wizards should think about John Wall‘s ink before signing him to a max deal.”

In it, he tried to make the case that Wall’s flip-flopping on body art is an indication that maybe he isn’t the player the Wizards want to tie their future to with a long-term, maximum dollar deal.

As you might imagine, the article has gotten quite a bit of attention, and none of it has been positive.

Reid appeared on the Dan Patrick Show to discuss what he was trying to get across with the piece. Check out the clip above and decide for yourself if his explanation makes any more sense.

1. ivanoiurares40 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Reblogged this on TheSlashDash.

2. aboogy123456 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM

maybe Jason Reid should think about what he says before writing this nonsense. In my opinion, John Wall is going to be one of the best players in the league soon, but one thing that should be clear is that he’s a very high character guy. He grew up in a tough situation with his dad, yet he never gets into trouble and he made it to the nba. He’s been a great leader for his team and is always supportive of teammates, and he’s only 22, that’s very impressive. What does Jason idiot Reid care about Wall’s stance on tattoos?

• fanofevilempire - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM

good thing they are not the Bullets anymore.

I think Wall is another over rated Kentucky Player.

• brookwell2013 - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Well said aboogy……I listened to the Patrick interview with Reid and it was painful. Reid could not articluate why Wall’s tatoos have an impact on his character or basketball skills. He seemed to be trying to argue that Wall originally stated he wanted to be “clean cut” and now, according to Reid, the addition of tatoos has made Wall somehow suspect in the character area. In other words, Reid was equating tatoos with bad character……or something like that….it was a bizarre interview and just a stupid article. Just because Wall decided to get tatted up doesn’t mean he has turned into a bad person or someone management should give pause to before maxing him….whether he gets his max deal or not will depend on the evaluation of his b-ball skills not whether he has tats. Your 15 minutes are over Jason. Go away.

3. pmx8411 - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

SOOO irrelevant…..Theyre freakin tattoo’s….it doesnt make or break a man

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM

unless the tats are on your face…

your career is broken after that unless youre a rapper, tatoo artist or circus clown…

• drewzducks - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Well I know Iron Mike isn’t a rapper or a tattoo artist so I guess…

4. azarkhan - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM

If it wasn’t for bad publicity, the Wizards wouldn’t have no publicity at all.

5. readysethike - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Lebron James has tattoos doesn’t make him any less marketable. Kevin Durant has tattoos didn’t make him less marketable…this interview was a waste of time.

• moseskkim - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

It’s not about marketability. It’s raising questions as to if he deserves a max contract. He only played great 2 months it of his career. He flip flops on” I want a clean image ” then tats himself all over. With such a plethora of great pg’s, there’s only 3 with max contracts. Don’t think he should be close. It’s not about tats in it of itself. It’s another question to who he is and adds to the questions as to if he really deserves a max contract.

• hollywood26 - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

It’s a stupid comment though. Dwight Howard talked about being a Christian example when he came in the league and now has at least 4 OOW kids. I could see if he said something at 26 or so and then seemed to backtrack but he’s like 23. The main thing during that time frame is that you tend to still be forming. He’s using circular logic.

• moseskkim - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM

The main thing isn’t tatoos but his production. He’s raising questions about him being able to keep his word but the bigger question in his mind is his production. D12 is a rare breed and is a major talent so he would get a max contract anyways. Same with KD. Since walls performance hasn’t warranted a max contract and he just flip flopped, author is saying hey don’t just give it to him, there’s some questions that u gotta deal with before that.

• jaerba - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM

You’re making an assumption that having tattoos prevent you from having a “clean image.” You’re going in with the perception that only thugs get tattoos, and most young people just don’t see it that way anymore.

Whether he deserves one based on his history is another question. He did visibly change the team when he returned and I think it’s too big of a risk for the Wizards to let him go, given what he showed in the second half of the season.

I think readysethike is wrong in one regard. Durant’s tattoos definitely made it harder for him to market his tattoo parlor, because those are some ugly ass tattoos (on top of the hilarious misspelling.)

6. lastdukestreetking - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Jason Reid’s next column: Get Off My Lawn!

7. logisticalvoices - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Dear Ivan,

Nobody cares when you reblog something on your blog. Nobody.

I’m sorry, but somebody had to tell you.

• sasquash20 - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Why the hate for a guy trying to get his blog out there? Everyone starts somewhere. I wish that guy nothing but luck. He clearly enjoys doing it, and if he can turn it into a profitable enterprise then god bless him. I run a company I hate, but I’m kind of stuck doing it with all my bills and kids to take care of. I say keep reblogging man I’m going to check your spot out.

• logisticalvoices - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Dear Ivan,

I was wrong. One person cares when you reblog something on your blog.

I stand corrected.

8. sasquash20 - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM

The Max deal he is up for is in the 40-45 million over 4 years kind of deal correct? If that is the case they would be insane not to sign him to a max deal. If I’m wrong and it is way higher my apologies. His shooting improved last season to .44 percent which isn’t great but not bad either. His assist to turnovers also improved. So that added with the young talent they should only get better. All that being said he shouldn’t have gone number 1 that year. Cousins or Favors should have. Cousins needs to mature and he may never, but he is by far the most talented player in that draft. Favors is comparable to Cousin but isn’t a head case and plays solid defense and should only get better. I think Favors will end up being the best player out of that draft this season, assuming Jefferson and Milisap are resigned. The worst pick was Evan Turner by my mentally challenged Sixers

9. drewzducks - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Would have a lot more respect for Reid if the article was titled “… before inking him to a max deal.”

10. gmsalpha - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Was that interview as hard to listen to for you as it was for me? That guy didn’t make any sense whatsoever and his argument was weak!

11. justaride88 - Jun 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM

First of, Im on my office computer an videos are blocked here, so I can’t know how Jason Reid is defending he’s colum, but I red it and this it what I think about it:

He has some very good points saying that Curry, Lawson and Conley didn’t get their max deals, so why Wall should if he has achived less than any of those guys. He also is right about Walls sudden love for ink is a little odd, especially after he has publicly admited that he has put concentrated effort to keep hes cleen cut image before.

And I think thats where Reid should have stoped. Its quite a leap to go from last seasons injury and some unexpected ink to Wizards not wanting to give him max deal just because they are afraid that he might bring a gun to lockerroom.

12. saintlaron - Jun 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I hate coons.

13. bills399 - Jun 26, 2013 at 5:17 AM

aaanndd if Skip Bayless wrote this article he would be considered “culturally insensitive”, a bigit, and a racist. Wonder why when Reid writes this ignorant article he is judged only on the content but if Reid were…..you know…..it would be a whole other can of worms?

Handing out NBA's postseason awards