Jun 24, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Boston did well in getting compensation for Doc Rivers’s move — it was clear in the next year or two he was gone anyway (he wanted no part of the coming rebuild). Boston got a first round pick and a graceful exit from the situation. Well played. (Now look for them to trade Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, but not to the Clippers.)
So who steps into Rivers chair for the rebuild in Boston?
A few names have come up early on according to the Boston Globe, including a couple of the hottest names on the coaching market.
The pool of candidates is shallow at this point in the offseason, but league sources made early suggestions such as Brian Shaw, Lawrence Frank, and Nate McMillan, among others.
“I think they do have to go young, and Danny [Ainge] is going to want to look like a genius,” a league source said. “Brian Shaw is what I think they’d hire, but I don’t know. Danny might go outside the box a little.”
Shaw is in the running for the Denver Nuggets job as well, and had been one of the leading candidates for the Clippers job until the Rivers compensation was figured out. He’s one of the top assistants out there, having been on the bench next to Phil Jackson for years, then he spent the last two years as under Frank Vogel helping develop the Indiana Pacers.
But Shaw wanted to ideally land in a spot he could win now; the Celtics are a multi-year rebuilding project. That said, Shaw was drafted by the Celtics and may wish to return. The number of coaching vacancies out there is closing up.
Another name mentioned is Heat assistant David Fizdale, who is well respected around the league. There had been some Vinny Del Negro buzz, but I heard not to bet on that.
Then there was this tweet from former Celtics Antoine Walker.
Boston fans its time for me to be the celtics coach !!!!—
Antoine Walker (@WalkerAntoine8) June 24, 2013
Sure, the team would improve its shimmy… but no.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (38)
- Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers (37)