Jun 24, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
Boston did well in getting compensation for Doc Rivers’s move — it was clear in the next year or two he was gone anyway (he wanted no part of the coming rebuild). Boston got a first round pick and a graceful exit from the situation. Well played. (Now look for them to trade Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, but not to the Clippers.)
So who steps into Rivers chair for the rebuild in Boston?
A few names have come up early on according to the Boston Globe, including a couple of the hottest names on the coaching market.
The pool of candidates is shallow at this point in the offseason, but league sources made early suggestions such as Brian Shaw, Lawrence Frank, and Nate McMillan, among others.
“I think they do have to go young, and Danny [Ainge] is going to want to look like a genius,” a league source said. “Brian Shaw is what I think they’d hire, but I don’t know. Danny might go outside the box a little.”
Shaw is in the running for the Denver Nuggets job as well, and had been one of the leading candidates for the Clippers job until the Rivers compensation was figured out. He’s one of the top assistants out there, having been on the bench next to Phil Jackson for years, then he spent the last two years as under Frank Vogel helping develop the Indiana Pacers.
But Shaw wanted to ideally land in a spot he could win now; the Celtics are a multi-year rebuilding project. That said, Shaw was drafted by the Celtics and may wish to return. The number of coaching vacancies out there is closing up.
Another name mentioned is Heat assistant David Fizdale, who is well respected around the league. There had been some Vinny Del Negro buzz, but I heard not to bet on that.
Then there was this tweet from former Celtics Antoine Walker.
Sure, the team would improve its shimmy… but no.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85