Jun 24, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
Boston did well in getting compensation for Doc Rivers’s move — it was clear in the next year or two he was gone anyway (he wanted no part of the coming rebuild). Boston got a first round pick and a graceful exit from the situation. Well played. (Now look for them to trade Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, but not to the Clippers.)
So who steps into Rivers chair for the rebuild in Boston?
A few names have come up early on according to the Boston Globe, including a couple of the hottest names on the coaching market.
The pool of candidates is shallow at this point in the offseason, but league sources made early suggestions such as Brian Shaw, Lawrence Frank, and Nate McMillan, among others.
“I think they do have to go young, and Danny [Ainge] is going to want to look like a genius,” a league source said. “Brian Shaw is what I think they’d hire, but I don’t know. Danny might go outside the box a little.”
Shaw is in the running for the Denver Nuggets job as well, and had been one of the leading candidates for the Clippers job until the Rivers compensation was figured out. He’s one of the top assistants out there, having been on the bench next to Phil Jackson for years, then he spent the last two years as under Frank Vogel helping develop the Indiana Pacers.
But Shaw wanted to ideally land in a spot he could win now; the Celtics are a multi-year rebuilding project. That said, Shaw was drafted by the Celtics and may wish to return. The number of coaching vacancies out there is closing up.
Another name mentioned is Heat assistant David Fizdale, who is well respected around the league. There had been some Vinny Del Negro buzz, but I heard not to bet on that.
Then there was this tweet from former Celtics Antoine Walker.
Sure, the team would improve its shimmy… but no.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38