Report: Nets talk deal that would send MarShon Brooks to Minnesota

Jun 24, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT

MarShon Brooks Getty Images

The Timberwolves are stockpiling a lot of young talent — Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love, Derrick Williams, Chase Budinger — and there are some reports they may add to that.

How about adding MarShon Brooks to the mix?

That is a reported discussion going on according to Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.

The Nets have been involved in discussions of a trade that would send MarShon Brooks to the Timberwolves, multiple sources told the Daily News.

Minnesota has shown interest in the third-year guard out of Providence, calling around the league for feedback and initiating trade discussions. Talks have not escalated to anything serious or imminent at the moment, according to a source. However, another source said that a proposal is on the table waiting for the Timberwolves’ approval.

The Nets want likely want a point guard in return, they will lose C.J. Watson to free agency. Backup point guards are something the Timberwolves have in abundance — Alexey Schved, J.J. Barea and Luke Ridnour.

To make any of those trades work the Nets (who are over the luxury tax and have limits on what they can do) will have to throw more into the deal to make it work. Maybe a draft pick or a young player.

Brooks scored 12.6 points a game and showed some promise as a rookie. His game developed some but we didn’t get to see much of it as he was squeezed out of the rotation by Joe Johnson (and Watson). That said, moving him likely will not be popular among Nets fans. Not that the Nets have a lot of other guys to move to bring in talent.

Not sure how serious they will become but there are talks going on at some level.

1. pmx8411 - Jun 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I kinda like what Minnesota is doing….adding Marshon definitely makes them a lil more athletic

• erckle31 - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Most definitely. But I don’t understand why the Nets would do this from their point of view with an aging Joe Johnson and what appears to be a frustrated Deron Williams. I have a feeling the Nets are gonna regret it if they give Brooks up like Coach Cal regrets not drafting Kobe. He won’t even be in the same universe as Kobe, but I see something special in him. The one knock on him is that he’s already 24…

• deadeyedesign23 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Well the other knocks on him are that he’s a terrible defender, makes incredibly poor decisions with the ball, and loves to play iso.

That said if the return is Alexey Schved, J.J. Barea or Luke Ridnour for Brooks AND a pick or another young player? No thanks.

2. jasjbb - Jun 24, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Who’s this ‘other’ Kevin Love character on Minnesota? They might be formidable if they actually had two of them…

3. torontofalcon - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Marshon has the size and talent to be a really good player. It’s just the Nets coaching staff thought playing Bogans and Stackhouse would be a better idea…

4. kerby720 - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Since Minnesota has 2 Kevin Loves, I wonder if they’ll trade one of them to the Lakers for Pau Gasol.

5. giantboy99 - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Another brilliant decision by the Nets brass.

6. sportsnut101 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM

What a dumb move by nets. Another billy king genius move Why is he a gm seriously

Joe Johnson will be injured again next yr he will shoot 4-12 in most games again.

It’s nt that brooks is great but he can def play n score. I can find 15 min a night for a player like that His def can only improve if he actually plays

I would not trade him for any of those players on wolves sorry. If its brooks n 2nd rd pick for 9th pick ok done deal

7. bigmeechy74 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I like minnesota but I refuse to root for any team with that piece of crap barea on it. So I hope he is involved with the trade so I can like this t-wolves team

• iritian - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

That “piece of crap” Barea is probably the best reserve point guard in the league after Jarett Jack.

• nbascreed - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Nate Robinson, Kirk Hinrich, Norris Cole, Steve Blake, Eric Maynor, etc.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Did this foo^ seriously just put Steve Blake in the mix of best backup PGs in the game?!!? Baaaaaaahahahahahaha OMG LMMFAO!!!! Ahhhhhahahahahaha woooo, I’m weak! Heheheheeee

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:33 AM

That’s irrelevant. He is my least favorite player regardless of whether he is good or not.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

What the heck did J.J. Barea ever do to you!? LOL @ the randomness!

• bigmeechy74 - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Lol i know…But I’ll try to explain. I’m from Oklahoma so I (used to be) a huge thunder fan (until they foolishly traded my favorite player for jeremy lamb and a bunch of crappy picks) and I REALLY hated that Mavs team that won it all a couple years ago. Barea was my least favorite player on my least favorite team. His flopping and overall demeanor made me want to smash my tv set.

8. 00maltliquor - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM

They should trade one of their Kevin Love’s to the Cavs for that #1 draft pick! Send the more oft-injured one, I say. I bet they’d bite. Win-win for both teams.

9. cj1403 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM

J.J. Barea was a key part of the Mavs championship. Plus he F*$%# a Miss Universe.

10. cj1403 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Btw Steve Blake, even Laker fans know he is crap!!!!

11. scadevage - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

After last off-seasons debacle I found myself gravitating away from these new look Brooklyn Nets. I have been a fan of the team since 90′s and although its great that fact we have “talent” such as J Johnson and Gerald Wallace, Nets management has put this team in Eastern Conference purgatory for the next 2-4 years.

I understand bringing in the talent to sell tickets, but these guys are shells of the players they were when they signed their current . I cannot think of a team that would trade for these players and absorb these contracts. Love Wallace as a player but the nickname “Crash” doesnt deem well for an aging player. Joe Johnson as dynamic as he is , got rich in a free agentless free agency period.

Despite my dedication to the team over the last 2 decades I was almost reayd to give up on them following this year. I understand Deron and Lopez are great building blocks but this team cannot touch CHI , IND and MIA in the East. They have the recipe on paper to beat MIA ( Low post scorer and Elite PG) but CHI one ups them. Not by talent, but by heart… taking a page from Sir Charles.

The only thing that saved me from jumping off the New Jer.. Brooklyn Nets is the fact they brought in J Kidd to run the show as he ( & KMART) turned me into a fanatic and helped reviatlize the franchise back in the 2000′s. As stated earlier though, this team is in purgatory and I feel like this move was done in desperation to keep disgruntled fans such as myself enaged.

Dont get me started on Billy King…

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures