Jun 24, 2013, 2:43 PM EST
This past season, Chris Wright became the first ever player diagnosed with multiple sclerosis to ever play in the NBA. After starting the season in the D-League he got a 10-day contract with the Dallas Mavericks.
The disease, commonly known as MS, impacts the brain and spinal cord when the protective sheaths around the nerves become damaged, which in turn can cause the nerve to slow down or stop. Symptoms vary but can include loss of balance, problems walking or moving your arms, muscle spasms, and fatigue. There are an estimated 2.1 million people in the United States with the disease.
Said Wright, “[There’s] a lot of people that don’t know about MS, don’t know what it is, don’t know the side affects of it, don’t know the symptoms of it. A lot of the people that have MS just aren’t aware that they have it.”
The Jamboree will feature a show by local rapper Shy Glizzy, a conditioning workout for high school athletes, a St. John’s basketball game, and a pro game including Kevin Durant, Mike Beasley, J.R. Smith, Nolan Smith, and Nick Young, among others; players Wright hopes to call colleagues one day.
It’s a great cause and a great show. If you are in the Washington D.C. area Saturday you should swing by St. John’s College high school between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. to check it all out.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)