Jun 24, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Scottie Pippen was allegedly involved in a violent altercation with an autograph-seeker outside of Nobu restaurant in Malibu, CA on Sunday night.
The incident is under police investigation, but Pippen has been cooperating and he hasn’t been arrested or charged at this time.
The initial report, from TMZ:
TMZ broke the story … Pippen allegedly brutalized an autograph seeker outside Nobu restaurant Sunday night. The man was knocked out after Pippen allegedly punched him in the face and kicked him repeatedly.
Pippen left the scene. As for the victim … he was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, including broken teeth and a swollen mouth. He also suffered injuries to his head and back.
Pippen was subsequently named as a suspect for a felony charge of assault with intent to commit great bodily injury.
The follow-up report from the Chicago Tribune states that Pippen has spoken with police and will not be arrested, though the investigation will continue.
By Monday afternoon, Pippen had been questioned by police and was cooperative, said Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County sheriff’s office. Pippen was allowed to leave without being charged, said Whitmore.
“Mr. Pippen will not be arrested, there’s more here than meets the eye,” said Whitmore.
He said the investigation was continuing. “We have to investigate and check with all the witnesses and find out exactly what happened,” said Whitmore.
The facts are that Pippen was involved in some type of altercation, but he has not been arrested or charged with a crime at this time, and is cooperating with authorities. We’ll refrain from speculating on any additional details.
Pippen played 17 seasons in the NBA, and was a member of six championship teams while playing for the Chicago Bulls. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 0
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 30
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 15
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 73