Jun 24, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Scottie Pippen was allegedly involved in a violent altercation with an autograph-seeker outside of Nobu restaurant in Malibu, CA on Sunday night.
The incident is under police investigation, but Pippen has been cooperating and he hasn’t been arrested or charged at this time.
The initial report, from TMZ:
TMZ broke the story … Pippen allegedly brutalized an autograph seeker outside Nobu restaurant Sunday night. The man was knocked out after Pippen allegedly punched him in the face and kicked him repeatedly.
Pippen left the scene. As for the victim … he was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, including broken teeth and a swollen mouth. He also suffered injuries to his head and back.
Pippen was subsequently named as a suspect for a felony charge of assault with intent to commit great bodily injury.
The follow-up report from the Chicago Tribune states that Pippen has spoken with police and will not be arrested, though the investigation will continue.
By Monday afternoon, Pippen had been questioned by police and was cooperative, said Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County sheriff’s office. Pippen was allowed to leave without being charged, said Whitmore.
“Mr. Pippen will not be arrested, there’s more here than meets the eye,” said Whitmore.
He said the investigation was continuing. “We have to investigate and check with all the witnesses and find out exactly what happened,” said Whitmore.
The facts are that Pippen was involved in some type of altercation, but he has not been arrested or charged with a crime at this time, and is cooperating with authorities. We’ll refrain from speculating on any additional details.
Pippen played 17 seasons in the NBA, and was a member of six championship teams while playing for the Chicago Bulls. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 0
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 0
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 24
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15