Jun 24, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
Is two seasons enough time for the Timberwolves to throw in the towel on the Derrick Williams experimient and trade him for whatever they can get.
No. He seemed to find his stride the second half of the season (not surprisingly after Ricky Rubio retunred and got healthy, so he had someone feeding him the rock). Williams averaged 15 points a game after the All Star break shooting 44.8 percent.
So while the rumors are floating around don’t expect Williams to get traded. Don’t take my word for it, as the team owner. Which is what the Star Tribune did.
“There are teams that have called us and asked us if we are going to trade him, but I think that everybody saw the same thing that you saw, including the coach,” Taylor said. “Once we got him out on the floor and he had a chance to play, he started to play better. We have to remember that he still a very young man and a player that has a lot of potential. So we may trade somebody on our team, but it’s not going to be [him], unless it really would help our team.”
Flip Saunders is running the show in Minnesota and he is not likely to trade away talent too early. It’s the smart move to see how Williams can play off of Rubio and Kevin Love then make your moves.
Also, Taylor became the latest in a long line of people to say expect Rick Adelman to return as coach (Adelman wanted to but took time off last season when his wife was ill).
“I think everything is going good,” Taylor said. “His wife [Mary Kay, who has been facing health issues] continues to make progress and she’s driving and getting back closer to a more normal way of living in every way. We assume that everything is going fine and Rick will be back.”
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15