Jun 24, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
Is two seasons enough time for the Timberwolves to throw in the towel on the Derrick Williams experimient and trade him for whatever they can get.
No. He seemed to find his stride the second half of the season (not surprisingly after Ricky Rubio retunred and got healthy, so he had someone feeding him the rock). Williams averaged 15 points a game after the All Star break shooting 44.8 percent.
So while the rumors are floating around don’t expect Williams to get traded. Don’t take my word for it, as the team owner. Which is what the Star Tribune did.
“There are teams that have called us and asked us if we are going to trade him, but I think that everybody saw the same thing that you saw, including the coach,” Taylor said. “Once we got him out on the floor and he had a chance to play, he started to play better. We have to remember that he still a very young man and a player that has a lot of potential. So we may trade somebody on our team, but it’s not going to be [him], unless it really would help our team.”
Flip Saunders is running the show in Minnesota and he is not likely to trade away talent too early. It’s the smart move to see how Williams can play off of Rubio and Kevin Love then make your moves.
Also, Taylor became the latest in a long line of people to say expect Rick Adelman to return as coach (Adelman wanted to but took time off last season when his wife was ill).
“I think everything is going good,” Taylor said. “His wife [Mary Kay, who has been facing health issues] continues to make progress and she’s driving and getting back closer to a more normal way of living in every way. We assume that everything is going fine and Rick will be back.”
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18