Jun 24, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT
Not long ago, Chris Andersen was seen as a pariah. He was banned from the NBA for at least two years for violating the NBA’s drug policy in 2006, and, though he never faced charges, he was investigated for child pornography last year (that turned out to be an apparent extortion attempt).
But the Heat took a chance on him in January with a 10-day contract, then another and, eventually, a contract through the rest of the season.
Andersen respond in a big way. He had arguably the best regular-season per-minute production of his career, and then – even considering his foolish Game 6 suspension in the Eastern Conference Finals and getting benched during the NBA Finals – he followed it with an even better playoff run. In the postseason, Andersen shot a red-hot 81 percent.
This is often the time players like Andersen, who will become a free agent this offseason, attempt to cash in for a bigger contract. But that might not be his approach.
Andersen’s agent confirmed to FOX Sports Florida the Birdman wants to re-sign with the Heat.
“He put it clearly,’’ said Mark Bryant. “(The Heat) gave him an opportunity and he absolutely wants to come back.’’
Of course, players almost always say they want to stay with their current team. It doesn’t always come true.
But I think it will be true for Andersen for a few reasons.
1. His agent sounds awfully emphatic.
2. Andersen just won a title, and that always leaves a positive taste in a player’s mouth.
3. The Heat truly gave Andersen an opportunity he probably wouldn’t have received from any other NBA team, a chance to play this season.
4. Andersen might not get the big-money offers that usually convince players in his boat to sign elsewhere. He turns 35 in a couple weeks, so non-contending teams probably won’t have interest. Many contenders don’t have the cap room to spend considerably more than the Heat – the difference between the taxpayer mid-level exception and the portion of the non-taxpayer Andersen could get probably isn’t significant enough to turn him – and everyone will see him how the Heat do: a cheap big man who provides great value in a specific role but probably can’t do much else.
Andersen fits very well with the Heat, and although most free agents are more unpredictable at this time of year, he’ll probably re-sign in Miami.
May 25, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
MVP runner-up shines while MVP misses substantial portion of Houston’s Game 4 win
May 25, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
He was not ejected.
May 25, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
It’s a sign Thomas may be around for a little bit.
May 25, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
It didn’t count.
May 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Scary moment in Houston.
May 25, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
What do they know?
May 25, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The league had been exploring moving Game 1 up to June 2.
May 25, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Horford was ejected from Game 3.
May 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Cavaliers star says he will research case further before saying more
May 25, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
Doc Rivers decided to offer his mid-level exception money last summer to Spencer Hawes instead of Pierce. He’d like that one over.
May 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Expect a resilient Rockets team on Monday night.
May 25, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Cavaliers center shakes it off
May 25, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
It probably won’t happen, but…
May 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Cavaliers guard disagrees
May 25, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
LeBron finished with 37 points, 18 rebounds and 13 assists .
May 25, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
The Hawks’ night goes from bad to worse.
LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks
May 25, 2015, 12:09 AM EDT
The Cavs are one win away from the Finals.
May 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He’s not wrong.
May 24, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
A trend is becoming clear: Do not mess with Dellavedova.
May 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The question really is now much do you value the three?
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9