Brandon Roy: “My basketball days are numbered”

Jun 24, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Four Getty Images

Last season, the Minnesota Timberwolves gave Brandon Roy one last chance.

Roy was amnestied by Portland and had retired from the game because his knees had gotten so bad he couldn’t contribute. He couldn’t play anymore. However, Roy is about as competitive a guy as there is in the league so he got treatment for a year, he rested his knee, he did anything and everything he could to get right. He felt better, he was working out and so the Timberwolves gave him a chance.

Five games. That’s how long his comeback lasted. His knees would not hold up.

Everyone else knew it was the end. Now Roy, speaking at a University of Washington alumni event, sounded like a guy who has reached the same conclusion, reports ESPN’s Kevin Pelton.

I can’t imagine another NBA team giving him a shot at this point.

I choose not to remember the Minnesota Roy. I choose to remember the Rookie of the Year Roy, the three time All-Star Roy, the guy who scored 22.6 points a game and more than that controlled the flow of those games. I will remember the guy that could take over games like few could. That’s the Roy I will remember, and I will wish it hadn’t all ended so soon.

1. loungefly74 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM

He gave it his best. Good for him.

2. anhdazman - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

His number is at 0 already. Time to move on Roy. Move on.

• louderthanwords1 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I can’t believe all the thumbs down for the comment about Roys number being at 0. He lasted 5 games this yr and I can’t imagine anyone giving him a shot next yr unless a team takes a flier on him late in the yr with a 10 day contract.

• badintent - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Maybe some U Dub fan went bonkers with his mouse. take all types here. Reality check for Roy and lots of posters here.

3. tannethrill - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM

He should have waited until the playoffs to come back. With the additional rest he may have been able to play a role off the bench for a contender.

• bougin89 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM

By the time you reach the playoffs ideally you have team chemistry and momentum built. Bringing in a new player at that point might be worse, especially one that may only be able to play 1 or 2 games before sitting out again with needed rest on his achy knees.

Don’t get me wrong I feel bad for Roy, he seems like a class act, a true competitor and the NBA would be better with him in it(if he were healthy) but his knees are shot.

4. ProBasketballPundit - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

HAHAHAHA!! I’m not even going to say what I’m thinking because then Kurt will say, “Well, you’re the one who clicked on the article and decided to comment.”

5. htownred34 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM

As much as I want to see him come back, I just don’t think he can contribute enough in the nba, maybe he should look to play in the d-league or international…

6. 13arod - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I wouldn’t say that but I could see Miami giving him another chance because miller is retiring Battie is retiring ray Allan is going to retire so they need 3 point help so Miami could use him on the bench

• bougin89 - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Miller isn’t going to walk away from $6.2 million and $6.6 million the following year. If he is amnestied I’m guessing at that point he would consider retiring. But he isn’t going to walk away from that much guaranteed money.

7. ochotrinko - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

For me, the signature moment in his career is a playoff game against Dallas in which he basically took over and won by himself. Roy scored 18 points in the fourth quarter of a game 4 in a series in which the Blazers would eventually lose, and the Mavericks would eventually win the title. Roy at his best. Roy’s Last Stand.

8. caeser12 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM

One of the good Guys, but yes, it’s time my Son. We’ll see you as a analyst real soon, just stay away from BSPN.

• caeser12 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM

*an analyst.

9. lmoneyfresh - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM

At least he was smart enough to fleece the awful T-wolves front office for a nice payday.

10. soundsofsuccess7 - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Such a bummer.

I’d expect him to get into the coaching game- clearly he knows a little about playing basketball.

11. jordanismyidol - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Roy is still and will always be one of my favorite players of all time

12. nowyouknow2000 - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Gone too soon…Roy used to be Wade-lite.

13. harshedmellow - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM

As a PDX fan, the Roy flameout just dovetailed so perfectly with the Oden fiasco as to prove that yes, there is a God. And He hates on the Blazers. :(

14. 13arod - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

bougin89 miller said he was going to retire last year but came back and said this year he is going to retire

• bougin89 - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM

He hasn’t said he will definitely retire. He has “considered” it last offseason and will “consider” it this offseason. If he isn’t amnestied he won’t retire.

• badintent - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM

When the volcano in the Canay Island blows up and sends a 600 foot tidal wave to Florida , will you please stay there ? That way I know there will be no more stupid posts from you on Arodless and the Heat ‘s bandwagon leave games early fans.LBJ is cool.Look forward to him going to Lakers in 2015

15. terrellowens81 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Join the Heat get a ring and retire

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches