Jun 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Can you say lowball…
The Boston Celtics in the next few days are going to make a decision on whether to bring back Paul Pierce next year at $15 million or buy him out for $5 million (and if he stays or goes will be tied to the decisions of Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett).
The Cavaliers want to help out the Celtics. And by help out I mean steal from. They made a trade offer to the Celtics, reports the News Herald (Sam Amico of Fox Sports was first with this rumor).
The Cavs have likely spoken to the Celtics about small forward Paul Pierce’s availability. The latest rumor is the Cavs offering their two second-round picks for the 35-year-old Pierce. Pierce’s $15.3 million contract for next year would become guaranteed if he’s dealt.
You should take all rumors this time of year with a grain of salt, and this one you can add a few grains. This comes out of Cavs sources and there is little chance Boston gives this deal much thought. But they will give the idea of trading him some thought.
Two second round picks isn’t equal value, but for Boston if you’re going to buy him out, isn’t some kind of compensation better than spending $5 million to have him walk away for nothing?
Cavaliers’ owner Dan Gilbert has said he is tired of the lottery and wants to make the playoffs next year. This would be a step in that direction without shortcutting the rebuilding process much, so it makes sense to at least throw it out there. But don’t bet on it.
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 2
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 23
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 24
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6