Jun 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EST
Can you say lowball…
The Boston Celtics in the next few days are going to make a decision on whether to bring back Paul Pierce next year at $15 million or buy him out for $5 million (and if he stays or goes will be tied to the decisions of Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett).
The Cavaliers want to help out the Celtics. And by help out I mean steal from. They made a trade offer to the Celtics, reports the News Herald (Sam Amico of Fox Sports was first with this rumor).
The Cavs have likely spoken to the Celtics about small forward Paul Pierce’s availability. The latest rumor is the Cavs offering their two second-round picks for the 35-year-old Pierce. Pierce’s $15.3 million contract for next year would become guaranteed if he’s dealt.
You should take all rumors this time of year with a grain of salt, and this one you can add a few grains. This comes out of Cavs sources and there is little chance Boston gives this deal much thought. But they will give the idea of trading him some thought.
Two second round picks isn’t equal value, but for Boston if you’re going to buy him out, isn’t some kind of compensation better than spending $5 million to have him walk away for nothing?
Cavaliers’ owner Dan Gilbert has said he is tired of the lottery and wants to make the playoffs next year. This would be a step in that direction without shortcutting the rebuilding process much, so it makes sense to at least throw it out there. But don’t bet on it.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 5
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 7
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 11