Jun 23, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
After the Heat won their second straight NBA title, there were at least a few fans who decided to celebrate by shooting guns into the air.
Unfortunately, those bullets always land somewhere. And in this case, one of them came through a window and hit a teenage boy in the head.
From the Associated Press:
Fifteen-year-old Brandon Reid says he was watching Miami Heat basketball players celebrate their world championship Thursday when a bullet came through his mother’s sliding glass door and grazed his skull under the ear.
Reid told reporters Saturday that it felt like a rock hit him.
Police say they think the bullet came from celebratory gunfire prompted by the Heat’s win. South Florida authorities routinely warn people about the dangers of firing into the air to celebrate holidays or other occasions.
Area police stated that they had received calls of shots being fired in the area, and that based on the bullet’s trajectory, the person hit wasn’t targeted specifically.
Thankfully, Reid is going to be OK. But looking at the scar from where he was hit, it’s a scary story resulting from extremely stupid behavior nonetheless.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 9
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31