Jun 23, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
After the Heat won their second straight NBA title, there were at least a few fans who decided to celebrate by shooting guns into the air.
Unfortunately, those bullets always land somewhere. And in this case, one of them came through a window and hit a teenage boy in the head.
From the Associated Press:
Fifteen-year-old Brandon Reid says he was watching Miami Heat basketball players celebrate their world championship Thursday when a bullet came through his mother’s sliding glass door and grazed his skull under the ear.
Reid told reporters Saturday that it felt like a rock hit him.
Police say they think the bullet came from celebratory gunfire prompted by the Heat’s win. South Florida authorities routinely warn people about the dangers of firing into the air to celebrate holidays or other occasions.
Area police stated that they had received calls of shots being fired in the area, and that based on the bullet’s trajectory, the person hit wasn’t targeted specifically.
Thankfully, Reid is going to be OK. But looking at the scar from where he was hit, it’s a scary story resulting from extremely stupid behavior nonetheless.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5