Russell Westbrook proposes to fan on Twitter, gets yes

Jun 22, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT

Charlie Bright, as explained by Royce Young of Daily Thunder, took Rachel Haycraft on their first date to a Thunder game. So, when he later decided to propose, he wanted to incorporate the Thunder.

Via Young:

“I thought a really cool way to combine the two would be for Russell, or somebody on the team to ask her on Twitter or something to propose,” Charlie said. “So I messaged him on Facebook earlier in the week and just made in bold print the words “marriage proposal” because I’m sure he gets a lot of messages I wanted it to jump out.“The first words of the message were something like ‘I know this is a long shot and probably won’t work, but if you’re interested…’ Honestly I didn’t think it was going to work,” he said.A few days went by and Charlie didn’t hear back from Russ. He was going to start putting together Plan B, but then a message showed up in his inbox.“I think his reply was literally like five words like ‘I’m down, what’s the plan?’ Charlie said.

Here were the results of the plan:

The reply:

And the retweet:

That was very cool of Russell Westbrook to help a Thunder fan like that. It was also very smart of Haycraft’s fiancé. With her favorite player involved in the proposal and making a convincing argument on behalf of Bright – #Whynot – how could she say no?

1. doclolly - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

ah the obscurity of the offseason is upon us

• fanofevilempire - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hey Russell, instead of wasting time you she go rehab and when you get
      tired do some more rehab, don’t get involved in useless activities like proposals.
      I bet this lady wanted to marry Russell and not the dork looking guy in the picture.

• dondada10 - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

2. 950003cups - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM

This is the type of headlines I wanna see from pro athletes. Not all that criminal stuff.

Good job Russ! Way to set the bar back up where it should be!

3. raidmagic - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Great job Russell and a fantastic way to propose.

4. jimeejohnson - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Great story.

5. gmsingh123 - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Good for Westbrook–he finally found a way to get a ring.

• patfic15 - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Lol.

• hehateme2 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Funny

6. bigmeechy74 - Jun 23, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Russ rules. That team had the coolest young nucleus in NBA history until Presti ruined it with that AWFUL Harden trade. What a shame

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures