Pelicans taking No. 13 pick, Shawn Marion off Mavericks’ hands?

Jun 22, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT

The Mavericks have been shopping the No. 13 pick to clear cap space, and maybe they’ve found a taker who will also accept the final year of Shawn Marion’s contract, which owes him $9,316,796.

Fletcher Mackel of WDSU TV:

Without know what draft pick the Pelicans send back to Dallas, it’s impossible to evaluate which team would get the better end of this trade. But I’d think Marion has negative value in this deal. In other words, Dallas should send the Pelicans a sweetener just to take Marion, meaning the pick New Orleans gives the Mavericks should be less valuable than the No. 13 pick.

The Pelicans also have the No. 6 pick, and if they are targeting Adetokunbo, that doesn’t really say much about what they’ll do at No. 6. Adetokunbo is a small forward, but a versatile one with point guard-like skills. So, New Orleans could go a variety of ways at No. 6 and then slide in Adetokunbo however he fits best.

But that’s all small potatoes compared to the Mavericks, who would be better equipped to pursue Dwight Howard and/or Chris Paul if this trade happens.

1. nycalldayz - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I’m assuming Shawn Marion would request to be bought out. I can’t see him staying.

2. steelerfanforlife - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Ok I’m not the grammar police but good Lord really???
    “Without know what draft pick the Pelicans are send back to Dallas”

• 00maltliquor - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Okay, I’m sippin’ on Hurricane high gravity malt liquor right now, I’m not new to this, but I thought I was tripping reading that over like 5x. Glad I wasn’t the only one puzzled by that.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I just ignore it now, Imagine if we started to talk like this.
        People will ask, wtf is wrong with you.

3. logisticalvoices - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Better headline: Pelicans Trade For Pick And Player, Send Boat Full Of Smelt And Tilapia In Return To Mavs

4. 00maltliquor - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I actually like this move for the Hornicans. They will probably give up a 2nd rounder for that #13 and I don’t see taking back Marion and his 9.3 mil contract back as a negative. Yes, they are young and on the re-build, but it sure doesn’t hurt to have a savvy vet with defensive presence that is still somewhat useful like a Marion, especially at only one year left.

Plus, they have a HUGE deficiency at the SF position (and every other position, btw), which The Matrix will fill. I think it’s a complete win for NOLA, IMHO.

• bougin89 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I think you are spot on with your comment. Marion’s expiring contract could potentially be moved again at the trade deadline as well. This doesn’t lock the Pelicans into a long contract and they acquire the #13 pick, weak draft or not, I’d take a swing at that.

5. daddyghi - Jun 23, 2013 at 12:06 AM

marion will never play a single game with the pelicans. if this goes through, expect a buy out, then marion packs his back and get back to dallas..

6. patfic15 - Jun 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM

As a La resident, nothing good comes from the Hornets. We had a solid team about 3-4 years ago but Shinn killed us with his cheap attitude. I’m surprised CP3 stayed as long as he did. This organization makes one bad move after another (excluding Davis who was the consensus #1).

• jfjambon - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Also you have no idea how basketball works. Learn the sport before you attempt to discourage the team

7. patfic15 - Jun 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Yes. The hornets because Pelicans is a ridiculous name.

• jfjambon - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Yes! pelicans is SUCH a ridiculous name OF COURSE these are not:

Heat- a rise in temp?
      Spurs- back of a boot
      Thunder- a noise associated with poor weather
      Nets- a net
      Knicks- knickerbockers see shorts
      Clippers- a boat
      Lakers- lakes
      Celtics- leprechauns
      Nuggets- gold
      Pistons- car part
      Magic- magic
      Wizards- see Magic
      76ers- year
      Trail Blazers- yeah
      Jazz- music non-existent in the state

But you’re right, PELICANS is a stupid name because it doesn’t make sense and isn’t ferocious as something like a lake or a year.

/sarcasm
      Just incase you didn’t get it

• bougin89 - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I’m just glad you left the Bucks off you’re list because the Bucks are a truly original and insightful name ;)

• fanofevilempire - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Don’t pay either any attention, problem solved.

8. frankdatank23 - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I’m just stumbling over here to laugh at the new name….. They really did it ? Hilarious ness !

9. doggpound4ever - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:03 AM

The cavs need to send there two second round picks for the thirteenth pick.

10. jerze2387 - Jun 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM

when I first saw the headline, I said to myself, “who the hell are the pelicans? did he get traded to the ABA?”. Seriously.

I thought he’d be playing with a red, white, and blue ball. What a horrible name for an NBA team

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches