Dwyane Wade had knee drained before Game 7

Jun 22, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT

Heat's Wade sits with the Larry O'Brien Trophy after his team defeated the Spurs in Game 7 to win their NBA Finals basketball playoff in Miami Reuters

Dwyane Wade looked like he hopped in the Hot Tub Time Machine before Game 7 and went back a few years. He was the second best player on the court in the game — 23 points and 10 rebounds. He had more bounce in his step, hit 6-of-13 from the midrange and got into the paint enough to keep the Spurs honest.

The reason is he got his knee drained before Game 7 — it was that or ask to play limited minutes, reports the Associated Press.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Wade revealed Saturday that his right knee pained him so much that he contemplated asking to play limited minutes in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, and that his left knee was drained and required about eight hours of game-day therapy just so he could play in Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

“I went through a lot,” said Wade, who’s now a three-time NBA champion. “But I’m at peace now.”

Now he can rest that knee on a Caribbean beach while celebrating his third title. I’m not a doctor, but I bet your knee feels a lot better in that situation.

Wade said it was Heat coach Erik Spoelstra’s words that made him decide to get the knee drained.

“I felt like if I was going to be playing the way I was playing, and hurting the way I was hurting, I wasn’t going to be able to help us move on to the next round,” Wade said. “I was going to say play me short minutes only, and give Mike Miller and guys other opportunities. But I came into the meeting, and all Spo was about was giving me more opportunities and getting me ways to be more successful. So I was like, ‘Well, changed my mind.'”

After Game 7, Spoelstra sang Wade’s praises.

“Really, he should be commended for being out there and doing whatever it takes, putting himself out there for criticism, possible criticism, because he wasn’t 100 percent,” Spoelstra said. “And he just helped us win. That was the bottom line. It was a selfless effort for two months. And some players probably wouldn’t have played.”

He played, and he was a key reason the Heat are back-to-back champions.

Latest Posts
  1. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

2. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

3. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

4. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

5. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

6. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

7. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

8. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

9. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

10. Kevin Love finds LeBron James for huge alley-oop slam (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

Highlight-reel play came near the end of a loss to the Nets.

11. LeBron after Cavaliers fall to Nets: ‘You don’t chalk up losses’

Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.

12. Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers

Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Orlando Magic add Shaquille O'Neal to team's Hall of Fame Getty Images

O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches