Dwyane Wade had knee drained before Game 7

Jun 22, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT

Heat's Wade sits with the Larry O'Brien Trophy after his team defeated the Spurs in Game 7 to win their NBA Finals basketball playoff in Miami Reuters

Dwyane Wade looked like he hopped in the Hot Tub Time Machine before Game 7 and went back a few years. He was the second best player on the court in the game — 23 points and 10 rebounds. He had more bounce in his step, hit 6-of-13 from the midrange and got into the paint enough to keep the Spurs honest.

The reason is he got his knee drained before Game 7 — it was that or ask to play limited minutes, reports the Associated Press.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Wade revealed Saturday that his right knee pained him so much that he contemplated asking to play limited minutes in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, and that his left knee was drained and required about eight hours of game-day therapy just so he could play in Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

“I went through a lot,” said Wade, who’s now a three-time NBA champion. “But I’m at peace now.”

Now he can rest that knee on a Caribbean beach while celebrating his third title. I’m not a doctor, but I bet your knee feels a lot better in that situation.

Wade said it was Heat coach Erik Spoelstra’s words that made him decide to get the knee drained.

“I felt like if I was going to be playing the way I was playing, and hurting the way I was hurting, I wasn’t going to be able to help us move on to the next round,” Wade said. “I was going to say play me short minutes only, and give Mike Miller and guys other opportunities. But I came into the meeting, and all Spo was about was giving me more opportunities and getting me ways to be more successful. So I was like, ‘Well, changed my mind.'”

After Game 7, Spoelstra sang Wade’s praises.

“Really, he should be commended for being out there and doing whatever it takes, putting himself out there for criticism, possible criticism, because he wasn’t 100 percent,” Spoelstra said. “And he just helped us win. That was the bottom line. It was a selfless effort for two months. And some players probably wouldn’t have played.”

He played, and he was a key reason the Heat are back-to-back champions.

1. noring4youstill - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM

He needs to retire now.

• soflasfinest - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM

You need to stop posting…now! Respect greatness son.

• hehateme2 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

He’s a Great, Great Player. Maybe some of you need to go back and watch his MVP 2006 Title. The most impressive performance I’ve seen in a long time.

• sfsugator - Jun 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I say he goes to Germany gets the mamba treatment, then 3-4 more years at a high level

• pandebailey - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Wade needs to retire? Let’s see, he’s four years younger than Kobe and has played in seven fewer NBA seasons….yeah, no way he can get his knee fixed to keep playing at a high level. Impossible.

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

How about a Spoelstra article or two? He’s got the best job in the NBA. But he’s also got the toughest. Managing HUUUUGE egos, making very difficult decisions regarding playing time. How about the play he drew up at the end of Game 7 when Battier hit Wade for a layup. Sick sick play.

Rest of the staff too. Rothstein, McAdoo, Fiz, Askins, that other guy, and that other other guy. Great coaches. They deserve some credit and its a shame the “experts” who write for this site haven’t given it appropriately.

Well I’m giving it. You’re the best Spo’ ! Congratulations!

• thelastpieceofcheese - Jun 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Spo’s coaching is to tell Lebron and the others “guys, do your thing.”

3. jeffw - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

You are absolutely correct about Spo! Of course it doesn’t hurt to have Riley available as a sounding board when you need him.

4. yousuxxors - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

surprised he didn’t get it down earlier in the playoffs like last year.

5. 13arod - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

noring4youstill shut up wade is still the sg in the nba

• savvybynature - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM

You are correct. He is still a shooting guard in the NBA.

• anythingbutyanks - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

“the” > “a”

6. Chad Bartel - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Did you hear that Derrick Rose?!? Playing even though you’re not 100% cuz your team needs you. Apparently that’s what champions do!!

• mackcarrington - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I don’t think Derrick Rose recovering from major knee surgery has anything to do with Dwayne Wade having fluid drained from his knee. Just an excuse to bash Derrick Rose.

• anythingbutyanks - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

A very good excuse.

7. mackcarrington - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Having fluid drained from your knee means that there is something going on in there that eventually will need to be addressed. As in surgery.

8. noring4youstill - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Why don’t you STFU, I was simply implying that he has greater issues to worry about now. He has 3 rings and he should ride into the sunset.

• soflasfinest - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Aw, did someone get their feelings hurt. Relax homeboy

9. badintent - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Gasol going in for a new type of surgery , ultra sound plus stem cell treatment for his knees. I think Wade will be looking at something similar.Hope it works, Wade deserve another year of greatness.

10. skinsovieterps - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM

He embellishes everything. He wasn’t that hurt. He is about as useless as everything else in Miami.

• dangernearing - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Watch out the truth is not accepted well in these parts.

• hehateme2 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Not the envy spewed from you lifeless trolls. You all can’t see Greatness when it is right in front of you. I feel sad for you

• dangernearing - Jul 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Sad? Greatness? Bwahaha! D.Wade is nothing close to great. He blew that when he recruited LeBroad. He was great this past postseason or did LeBron put him and that gimpy knee over the top. He’s a high priced role player at this point. Nothing more & maybe a lil less next season.

11. thelastpieceofcheese - Jun 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Had Wade been healthy the Heat would have swept the Spurs.

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches