Jun 22, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Maybe this is part of an elaborate bluff or misdirection or…
Maybe the Clippers are just moving on from Doc Rivers.
Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times:
When I wrote the Clippers might get a coach better than Rivers, I didn’t mean Scott. I meant Hollins or, if he really demonstrated his upside during the interview process, Shaw.
By negotiating with two candidate at once, it seems like the Clippers are trying to balance hiring the best coach and the least expensive coach. If that’s what they’re doing, that’s the wrong process.
For a team in contention for a championship, this is not the time to be cheap. (Though, maybe for the Clippers, it’s always the time to be cheap.) The Clippers should pick the coach they believe will do the best job, try to hire him and if, and only if, contract talks fail, then they should negotiate with their next choice.
Perhaps, the Clippers haven’t decided on the best coach, so they’ve begun negotiations with two only so they’re prepared once they decide. If so, that’s a perfectly acceptable way to operate.
But these are the Clippers. Which seems more likely?
Really, though, the coach matters right now only in his ability to convince Chris Paul to re-sign. Scott coached Paul with the Hornets, and maybe the superstar free agent is open to a reunion.
If Paul wants only Scott, hire him. But if that were the case why negotiate with Shaw, too?
The Clippers should be doing everything they can to secure the best coach who meets Paul’s approval. I don’t see negotiating with Scott and Shaw simultaneously as a sign they’re on the right track.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50