Ben McLemore the next Ray Allen? Victor Oladipo the next Dwyane Wade? How they answer could be telling

Jun 22, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Ben McLemore

Ben McLemore and Victor Oladipo are the consensus top two shooting guards in the 2013 NBA Draft, but for very different reasons.

McLemore is seen as a potential superstar who needs more on-court aggressiveness to really shine. Oladipo is seen as a great role player who maximizes his talent.

Even a couple seemingly benign quotes about player comparisons, an issue every NBA draft prospect is asked to address at some point, feed into that perception.

McLemore, via Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel:

“I definitely can compare myself to Ray Allen, especially with the shooting ability,” McLemore said. “I don’t know about the athleticism anymore. But I definitely can say I compare myself with him a lot as far as getting myself open, coming off screens and little things like that.”

Oladipo, via J. Michael of CSN Washington:

“I hear a lot of things, whether I can’t create my own shot. I need to work on this. I need to work on that, I’ll be a great role player. They compare me to players like Tony Allen. I’ll never be an All-Star, and things like that,” Oladipo said. “Tony Allen ain’t a bad player: He’s a great player. Don’t get me wrong. He plays tremendous defense. I feel like I don’t want to limit myself. Even when I’m compared me to other players like Dwyane Wade or Russell Westbrook, I want to take all their games and mold them into one so I can be the best basketball player I can be.”

Neither answer is necessarily wrong, but this really showcases the perceived differences between McLemore and Oladipo.McLemore seems content. Oladipo seems hungry.Is that fair? Probably not. McLemore didn’t reach this level by resting on his laurels. He’s clearly put a lot of work into his game over the years, and that happens only with a passion to succeed, a passion to get better.But on this level, where every player is competitive, the slightest differences can make all the difference between career arcs and millions of dollars.

Latest Posts
  1. 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green

Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers

Lineup data shows Green greatly improves his teams chances when playing with the starters.

2. 67RIEFNS: Lance Stephenson on the loose

Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers

Is Stephenson ready for responsibility that comes with going from Pacers to Hornets?

3. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

4. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

5. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

6. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

7. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

8. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

9. Why I am going to miss Steve Nash

Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

steve-nash-getty Getty Images

Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.

10. 67RIEFNS No. 34: JaVale McGee doing JaVale McGee things

Oct 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets Media Day Denver Nuggets Media Day

The NBA is full of talent, personality and suspense. During the offseason, It’s easy to forget how wonderful the league can be. So, I’ve assembled 67 Reasons I’m Excited For Next Season (67RIEFNS). They’ll be presented in no particular order. JaVale McGee played just five games last year after injuring his leg. How did we…

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches