Ben McLemore the next Ray Allen? Victor Oladipo the next Dwyane Wade? How they answer could be telling
Jun 22, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Ben McLemore and Victor Oladipo are the consensus top two shooting guards in the 2013 NBA Draft, but for very different reasons.
McLemore is seen as a potential superstar who needs more on-court aggressiveness to really shine. Oladipo is seen as a great role player who maximizes his talent.
Even a couple seemingly benign quotes about player comparisons, an issue every NBA draft prospect is asked to address at some point, feed into that perception.
McLemore, via Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel:
“I definitely can compare myself to Ray Allen, especially with the shooting ability,” McLemore said. “I don’t know about the athleticism anymore. But I definitely can say I compare myself with him a lot as far as getting myself open, coming off screens and little things like that.”
Oladipo, via J. Michael of CSN Washington:
“I hear a lot of things, whether I can’t create my own shot. I need to work on this. I need to work on that, I’ll be a great role player. They compare me to players like Tony Allen. I’ll never be an All-Star, and things like that,” Oladipo said. “Tony Allen ain’t a bad player: He’s a great player. Don’t get me wrong. He plays tremendous defense. I feel like I don’t want to limit myself. Even when I’m compared me to other players like Dwyane Wade or Russell Westbrook, I want to take all their games and mold them into one so I can be the best basketball player I can be.”
Neither answer is necessarily wrong, but this really showcases the perceived differences between McLemore and Oladipo.McLemore seems content. Oladipo seems hungry.Is that fair? Probably not. McLemore didn’t reach this level by resting on his laurels. He’s clearly put a lot of work into his game over the years, and that happens only with a passion to succeed, a passion to get better.But on this level, where every player is competitive, the slightest differences can make all the difference between career arcs and millions of dollars.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25