Jun 21, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
The Nuggets have interviewed Brian Shaw and Lionel Hollins and were considered the landing spot for the guy who didn’t land the Clippers job (Doc Rivers threw a wrench in that plan for a while, but no longer).
However, the Nuggets are not going to sit around and just wait for everyone else to make a decision.
New GM Tim Connelly is going to meet with Vinny Del Negro over the weekend, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Del Negro coached the Clippers to 56 wins and the Pacific Division title last season but was allowed to walk away when his contract expired. That led a lot of people to shake their heads but Del Negro was not loved in the locker room by the player nor by management, and there were questions about how far his coaching acumen could take the team.
The other thing is Del Negro likely comes at a somewhat cheaper price then Shaw or Hollins.
Nuggets fans, take a deep breath and relax. It is still likely that Shaw and Hollins divide up the Clippers and Nuggets jobs in some order, but apparently the Nuggets are still looking around.
The Nuggets were coached to 57 wins by George Karl, who was named NBA Coach of the Year, then was let go by the team 29 days later as part of a complete shakeup of the front office (some of which was forced upon the Nuggets as guys left).
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 7
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 2
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 6