Jun 21, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
The Nuggets have interviewed Brian Shaw and Lionel Hollins and were considered the landing spot for the guy who didn’t land the Clippers job (Doc Rivers threw a wrench in that plan for a while, but no longer).
However, the Nuggets are not going to sit around and just wait for everyone else to make a decision.
New GM Tim Connelly is going to meet with Vinny Del Negro over the weekend, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Del Negro coached the Clippers to 56 wins and the Pacific Division title last season but was allowed to walk away when his contract expired. That led a lot of people to shake their heads but Del Negro was not loved in the locker room by the player nor by management, and there were questions about how far his coaching acumen could take the team.
The other thing is Del Negro likely comes at a somewhat cheaper price then Shaw or Hollins.
Nuggets fans, take a deep breath and relax. It is still likely that Shaw and Hollins divide up the Clippers and Nuggets jobs in some order, but apparently the Nuggets are still looking around.
The Nuggets were coached to 57 wins by George Karl, who was named NBA Coach of the Year, then was let go by the team 29 days later as part of a complete shakeup of the front office (some of which was forced upon the Nuggets as guys left).
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 3
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 20
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42