Jun 21, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
The Nuggets have interviewed Brian Shaw and Lionel Hollins and were considered the landing spot for the guy who didn’t land the Clippers job (Doc Rivers threw a wrench in that plan for a while, but no longer).
However, the Nuggets are not going to sit around and just wait for everyone else to make a decision.
New GM Tim Connelly is going to meet with Vinny Del Negro over the weekend, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Del Negro coached the Clippers to 56 wins and the Pacific Division title last season but was allowed to walk away when his contract expired. That led a lot of people to shake their heads but Del Negro was not loved in the locker room by the player nor by management, and there were questions about how far his coaching acumen could take the team.
The other thing is Del Negro likely comes at a somewhat cheaper price then Shaw or Hollins.
Nuggets fans, take a deep breath and relax. It is still likely that Shaw and Hollins divide up the Clippers and Nuggets jobs in some order, but apparently the Nuggets are still looking around.
The Nuggets were coached to 57 wins by George Karl, who was named NBA Coach of the Year, then was let go by the team 29 days later as part of a complete shakeup of the front office (some of which was forced upon the Nuggets as guys left).
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 5
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 51
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 56
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46