Jun 21, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
At this point, the Celtics might as well invite the Ringling Brothers into this process, because their talks with the Clippers are already a circus.
Here is what we do know:
• The Clippers still want to do a deal with Boston that would pass muster with the league, something where the Clippers send picks in compensation for the rights to sign Doc Rivers right now. Then in a few weeks they would revisit any Kevin Garnett for DeAndre Jordan trade talks. But that would be totally separate. What could possibly give you the idea they are connected?
• The Celtics called a press conference for noon Eastern on Monday where Doc Rivers and GM Danny Ainge were to address the media (and you don’t really do that if the guy is leaving). But then that presser was abruptly called off and re-scheduled for Monday. That buys the Celtics and Clippers 72 more hours to talk, at least.
All that leaves us with is a ton of questions.
Was the Boston press conference a bluff to force the Clippers back to the table? If so, it worked, apparently.
Are the two sides really any closer to a deal?
Is there a deal the two sides could reach that the league would sign off on, or in three weeks or a month would the league squash a Garnett for Jordan trade?
Is there any way Rivers, Garnett and Paul Pierce could still come back to Boston for one more year? Does Rivers even want to come back?
How badly do the Clippers really want to do a deal? There is a theory among some around the league that the Clippers restarted talks because Chris Paul asked them to and they want to keep him happy so he will re-sign, but they don’t really want to give up this much so they are just going through the motions. People around the Clippers don’t buy that, but it’s out there.
This entire situation is a circus.
I will add this — if this doesn’t come together the teams have nobody to blame but themselves. There have been more leaks around this trade than the Titanic. Because of that it’s been in the media as a connected deal — Rivers, Garnett and Pierce to the Clippers for a variety of different packages headed back East — everyone knows what they were trying to do. Including the league office. If the sides had been quiet and the Clippers traded Jordan and a couple picks for Garnett, then a couple of weeks later Doc Rivers was let go and just ended up in Los Angeles, they might have been fine. But by te time everything had been leaked and there were all these discussions, it was obvious it was all linked.
They shot themselves in the foot on this one.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?
Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s far from guaranteed that they will use it.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
And it was probably the smartest possible play
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner
Oct 24, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Bucks point guard Nate Wolters makes heads-up play
Oct 24, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Can’t say I ever pictured that.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
This is a minor trade, even in Sam Hinkie’s world.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Clippers owner affirms reputation
Byron Scott says Lakers may need to trade for point guard. For now, Ronnie Price starts, Jeremy Lin off bench.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Expect the Lakers to try and trade for a point guard… no, not Rajon Rondo.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Nash was everything we want as a fan in an NBA player.
Report: Tobias Harris won’t sign contract extension, would get Nike bonus by playing in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles
Oct 24, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Could forward leave the Magic in 2016?
Oct 24, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
The NBA is full of talent, personality and suspense. During the offseason, It’s easy to forget how wonderful the league can be. So, I’ve assembled 67 Reasons I’m Excited For Next Season (67RIEFNS). They’ll be presented in no particular order. JaVale McGee played just five games last year after injuring his leg. How did we…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Varejao the better choice, but Cleveland should be careful here
Oct 24, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Phil Jackson says the triangle is not rocket science.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
Pacers center filling huge role after last season’s great start, big collapse
Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Childress, who played for Pelicans last season, now playing (dirty) in Australia
Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Are Heat stars too old to succeed without LeBron James?
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Paul Pierce, Otto Porter or Martell Webster – all intriguing for different reasons – could become Washington’s starting small forward
Oct 24, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Magic guard to have surgery Saturday
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30