Jun 20, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
And they wonder why they are not getting great trade offers?
On pretty much every draft board out there worth mentioning Nerlens Noel is taken with the No. 1 pick by the Cleveland Cavaliers. But they are not thrilled with him — we’ve heard the Alex Len rumors and about how the Cavaliers want to trade out of the top spot.
Now comes another report, this from the Akron Beacon Journal, that the Cavaliers haven’t really warmed up to drafting Noel June 27.
…sources within the organization seem cool on him. Noel played in just 24 games because of a left knee injury his freshman year and his offensive skills are limited. He has spent time during his rehab working on his shooting.
The problem seems to be this: Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is growing weary of the rebuilding process and has said he wants to see the Cavaliers in the playoffs next season. Noel is a skinny rookie coming off an ACL repair who will miss training camp and the start of the season. He will have little impact this year, it’s really going to be three years in before we have much sense of what kind of player he will be.
Those two things don’t really mix.
The Cavaliers are clearly looking at all their options, but they won the lottery in the year nobody was all that thrilled about winning the lottery. This is what you get. They are a rebuilding team that should take whoever they grade out as the best player, whether they can help them this year or not. Don’t shortcut the rebuilding process to be the eight seed next season. Being patient sucks for fans, but the Cavs have a key piece in rebuilding with Kyrie Irving, now they need to get the right pieces around him, however long that takes.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 3
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 20
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 62
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4