Jun 20, 2013, 2:45 AM EDT
I’m not sure how good the Lakers will be with Dwight Howard next season — Lakers fans and players point to the 28-12 stretch and say they can sustain that, I’m not sold — but I know this:
Without Howard the Lakers will be a mess next season.
Kobe Bryant realizes that too and said in a radio interview on Wednesday the Lakers need to re-sign Howard, and that he would help the process. The interview was on ESPN Radio in Los Angeles, as transcribed by Eric Pincus at the Los Angeles Times.
“Those guys are hard to find, they don’t grow on trees,” Bryant said on 710 ESPN Los Angeles. “When you have someone like that with his talent level, you have to be able to keep him and lock him in with this franchise….
“I’ve spoken to him maybe a couple of weeks ago, just to check in with him,” said Bryant. “I haven’t spoken to him since. I know he’s got a big decision to make and I’m sure he’ll take the visits and talk to the players on the teams he’s considering. We’ll touch base a lot more.”
Howard is a free agent come July 1 and a number of teams — Houston, Dallas, Atlanta — are expected to make their cases to Howard.
Kobe has said before he wants to step in more as a closer after Howard has heard everyone’s pitch. That is what late owner Jerry Buss did when Kobe was a free agent, let him talk to other teams then come in and remind him all the advantages of being a Laker and how the franchise planned to build around him. It worked when Buss did it, we’ll see if Kobe can have that same success.
Kobe was also asked about his recovery from his torn Achilles. He said his goal is still to play at the start of season but said that it could be December before he is back. It’s a process.
“I’ve been rehabbing now for about a month, almost a month and a half,” Bryant said. “At the beginning stages, it’s really boring stuff. It’s really just trying to get out the inflammation, break up the scar tissue [and] make sure your toes are working.”
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43