Jun 20, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
We all knew Jay-Z and his Roc Nation Sports were jumping into the sports agent business, now it can be official.
The NBA Players union — which has to certify all agents working with NBA players — has given the green light to Roc Nation Sports, reports the Sports Business Journal. Both Jay-Z and Roc Nation Sports President Juan Perez got certification.
Jay-Z is selling his small share of Nets ownership to make this happen.
Kevin Durant is reportedly already on board with Roc Nation, other athletes will follow as well. This is supposed to be a full-service agency that can negotiate contracts and help with endorsements among other things.
What Jay-Z brings (besides his name) is branding — negotiating the contract of Kevin Durant is easy, but he has bounced between three agents now trying to improve his off-the-court brand. And if there is one thing nobody doubts Jay-Z is good at, it’s marketing himself and others as a brand.
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 9
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 20
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 3
- PBT Extra: Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan matchup key part of Clippers vs. Rockets 2
- Stephen Curry wins MVP with 100 of 130 first-place votes, but James Harden closest second place in four years 23