Jun 20, 2013, 10:13 AM EST
We all knew Jay-Z and his Roc Nation Sports were jumping into the sports agent business, now it can be official.
The NBA Players union — which has to certify all agents working with NBA players — has given the green light to Roc Nation Sports, reports the Sports Business Journal. Both Jay-Z and Roc Nation Sports President Juan Perez got certification.
Jay-Z is selling his small share of Nets ownership to make this happen.
Kevin Durant is reportedly already on board with Roc Nation, other athletes will follow as well. This is supposed to be a full-service agency that can negotiate contracts and help with endorsements among other things.
What Jay-Z brings (besides his name) is branding — negotiating the contract of Kevin Durant is easy, but he has bounced between three agents now trying to improve his off-the-court brand. And if there is one thing nobody doubts Jay-Z is good at, it’s marketing himself and others as a brand.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)