It’s official, Jay-Z can represent NBA players as an agent

Jun 20, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT

Entertainers Jay-Z and Beyonce watch Brooklyn Nets play New York Knicks in NBA game in New York Reuters

We all knew Jay-Z and his Roc Nation Sports were jumping into the sports agent business, now it can be official.

The NBA Players union — which has to certify all agents working with NBA players — has given the green light to Roc Nation Sports, reports the Sports Business Journal. Both Jay-Z and Roc Nation Sports President Juan Perez got certification.

Jay-Z is selling his small share of Nets ownership to make this happen.

Kevin Durant is reportedly already on board with Roc Nation, other athletes will follow as well. This is supposed to be a full-service agency that can negotiate contracts and help with endorsements among other things.

What Jay-Z brings (besides his name) is branding — negotiating the contract of Kevin Durant is easy, but he has bounced between three agents now trying to improve his off-the-court brand. And if there is one thing nobody doubts Jay-Z is good at, it’s marketing himself and others as a brand.

1. jeff6381 - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I remember when Master P tried this with Ricky Williams and that didn’t end to well. I am not saying that this will be a failure because Jay-z is a business genius but this will be interesting.

2. fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Tired of Jay Z and his wife, do they ever give to charities and help people.
    I’m tired about how great they are and how much money they and what
    product they are currently pimping and if they hanging with Kanye and Kim
    another two I’m tired of, wish they all move to LA.

Brooklyn, NY

• henryd3rd - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Don’t be hating because you’re a looser and working some weak ass job wishing you were in his shoes. By the way they own a home in LA

3. dysraw1 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM

yo Jay i got an eye for talent git at me dog

4. blitzinc43 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM

H to the OV

5. iwillfindyou - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I wish this clown would just go away. His music is terrible. He and his ugly wife need to just buy an island somewhere and never be heard of again. No one would miss them.

• amillionwayz - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM

must be unemployed..

6. pmx8411 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM

big pimpin..

7. chefgoldblum - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Ahhh, yes. The NBA…where the players usually spend a required year in college post HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION, but the people representing said players don’t need a GED, Bachelor’s degree, Masters degree or Juris Doctorate. I am curious as to how many UPCs or Pepsi Points they saved up to send away for their NBA agent certification. I was thinking about becoming an agent but I didn’t want to have to do all that post college education stuff, like getting my MBA and JD. Probably a smart decision on Kevin Durant’s part to drop Rob Pelinka since he isn’t known in the celebrity community rather he is a well respected agent in the sports management industry.

8. trickybastard - Jun 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, because he’s done so well marketing and branding the Nets and their crappy uniforms…

9. 6stn - Jun 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I went to youtube to hear this guy. After about thirty seconds of listening to that stuff, I figure he must be a marketing genius. His wife, Mrs. Z, must have the musical talent in that marriage.

Wizards playing spoiler in East