Jun 20, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
We all knew Jay-Z and his Roc Nation Sports were jumping into the sports agent business, now it can be official.
The NBA Players union — which has to certify all agents working with NBA players — has given the green light to Roc Nation Sports, reports the Sports Business Journal. Both Jay-Z and Roc Nation Sports President Juan Perez got certification.
Jay-Z is selling his small share of Nets ownership to make this happen.
Kevin Durant is reportedly already on board with Roc Nation, other athletes will follow as well. This is supposed to be a full-service agency that can negotiate contracts and help with endorsements among other things.
What Jay-Z brings (besides his name) is branding — negotiating the contract of Kevin Durant is easy, but he has bounced between three agents now trying to improve his off-the-court brand. And if there is one thing nobody doubts Jay-Z is good at, it’s marketing himself and others as a brand.
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 0
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 30
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 15
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 73