Jun 20, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
We all knew Jay-Z and his Roc Nation Sports were jumping into the sports agent business, now it can be official.
The NBA Players union — which has to certify all agents working with NBA players — has given the green light to Roc Nation Sports, reports the Sports Business Journal. Both Jay-Z and Roc Nation Sports President Juan Perez got certification.
Jay-Z is selling his small share of Nets ownership to make this happen.
Kevin Durant is reportedly already on board with Roc Nation, other athletes will follow as well. This is supposed to be a full-service agency that can negotiate contracts and help with endorsements among other things.
What Jay-Z brings (besides his name) is branding — negotiating the contract of Kevin Durant is easy, but he has bounced between three agents now trying to improve his off-the-court brand. And if there is one thing nobody doubts Jay-Z is good at, it’s marketing himself and others as a brand.
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 5
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 3
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 49
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 28
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20