Jun 20, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
The Grizzlies traded their first-round pick to Cleveland to get under the luxury tax and save about $4 million. Now they can use some of that money to get a first-round pick back.
Memphis is looking to buy a first-round pick, so expect the Grizzlies to get in the mix and send some cash to a team divesting a pick.
Memphis is certainly changing under new owner Robert Pera. Before he bought the team, the Grizzlies were the type to sell its first-round pick. Now, they’re not as concerned with being cheap but with being smart. Teams can use up to $3.1 million in trades, including for draft picks, per season, so if they complete a deal, they will have saved about $1 million or more.Of course, there are also reasons to move into the first round other than not having a first-round pick. Kyler:
Philadelphia is trying to do the same.
The 76ers hold the No.
10 11 pick, but they have more than one need. If they don’t keep Andrew Bynum, they’ll need a big man. They could also use help on the wing, considering Nick Young and Dorell Wright will be free agents this summer and Jason Richardson is getting old. A backup point guard would also help.This is probably a good year to buy a late first-round pick. Teams aren’t yet completely prepared for stiffer luxury tax penalties, but those are looming. So, not only will teams in danger of paying the tax be reluctant to add a guaranteed rookie-scale contract, they’ll appreciate an influx of cash.Of course, the Grizzlies and 76ers know this, too, and they also know this is perceived to be a weak draft.Whether a deal is reached is predicated on how desperate teams are to dump their first-round picks and whether they’re willing to accept less money than they could get in a typical year.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 2
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 27
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 3
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19