Jun 20, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
The Grizzlies traded their first-round pick to Cleveland to get under the luxury tax and save about $4 million. Now they can use some of that money to get a first-round pick back.
Memphis is looking to buy a first-round pick, so expect the Grizzlies to get in the mix and send some cash to a team divesting a pick.
Memphis is certainly changing under new owner Robert Pera. Before he bought the team, the Grizzlies were the type to sell its first-round pick. Now, they’re not as concerned with being cheap but with being smart. Teams can use up to $3.1 million in trades, including for draft picks, per season, so if they complete a deal, they will have saved about $1 million or more.Of course, there are also reasons to move into the first round other than not having a first-round pick. Kyler:
Philadelphia is trying to do the same.
The 76ers hold the No.
10 11 pick, but they have more than one need. If they don’t keep Andrew Bynum, they’ll need a big man. They could also use help on the wing, considering Nick Young and Dorell Wright will be free agents this summer and Jason Richardson is getting old. A backup point guard would also help.This is probably a good year to buy a late first-round pick. Teams aren’t yet completely prepared for stiffer luxury tax penalties, but those are looming. So, not only will teams in danger of paying the tax be reluctant to add a guaranteed rookie-scale contract, they’ll appreciate an influx of cash.Of course, the Grizzlies and 76ers know this, too, and they also know this is perceived to be a weak draft.Whether a deal is reached is predicated on how desperate teams are to dump their first-round picks and whether they’re willing to accept less money than they could get in a typical year.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85