Jun 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Is DeMarcus Cousins a max player?
There’s a new ownership regime in Sacramento and from owner Vivek Ranadive on through new coach Michael Malone everyone has talked about Cousins as a cornerstone of the franchise and part of their future.
But will they give him max money? Cousins is eligible for an extension to his rookie contract this summer and guess what he and his agent want? From the Sacramento Bee:
Cousins is eligible for a contract extension this summer, and Fegan wants a maximum deal for his client with the threat of a trade demand looming if a deal isn’t reached.
Cousins averaged 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds a game last season, shooting a respectable 46.5 percent, with an All-Star level PER of 20.2. But the question with him has never been his talent or physical gifts, it’s his head that leads him to get frustrated at points, take silly fouls and technicals, and take himself out of the game more quickly than any opponent can. He has feuded with every pro coach he has had about his commitment to the team.
For the Kings, you need a superstar franchise anchor to build around, one worthy of a max contract. Are you going to find one better than Cousins?
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 4
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 7
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 15
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 29
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 4