Jun 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
Is DeMarcus Cousins a max player?
There’s a new ownership regime in Sacramento and from owner Vivek Ranadive on through new coach Michael Malone everyone has talked about Cousins as a cornerstone of the franchise and part of their future.
But will they give him max money? Cousins is eligible for an extension to his rookie contract this summer and guess what he and his agent want? From the Sacramento Bee:
Cousins is eligible for a contract extension this summer, and Fegan wants a maximum deal for his client with the threat of a trade demand looming if a deal isn’t reached.
Cousins averaged 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds a game last season, shooting a respectable 46.5 percent, with an All-Star level PER of 20.2. But the question with him has never been his talent or physical gifts, it’s his head that leads him to get frustrated at points, take silly fouls and technicals, and take himself out of the game more quickly than any opponent can. He has feuded with every pro coach he has had about his commitment to the team.
For the Kings, you need a superstar franchise anchor to build around, one worthy of a max contract. Are you going to find one better than Cousins?
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12