Jun 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Is DeMarcus Cousins a max player?
There’s a new ownership regime in Sacramento and from owner Vivek Ranadive on through new coach Michael Malone everyone has talked about Cousins as a cornerstone of the franchise and part of their future.
But will they give him max money? Cousins is eligible for an extension to his rookie contract this summer and guess what he and his agent want? From the Sacramento Bee:
Cousins is eligible for a contract extension this summer, and Fegan wants a maximum deal for his client with the threat of a trade demand looming if a deal isn’t reached.
Cousins averaged 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds a game last season, shooting a respectable 46.5 percent, with an All-Star level PER of 20.2. But the question with him has never been his talent or physical gifts, it’s his head that leads him to get frustrated at points, take silly fouls and technicals, and take himself out of the game more quickly than any opponent can. He has feuded with every pro coach he has had about his commitment to the team.
For the Kings, you need a superstar franchise anchor to build around, one worthy of a max contract. Are you going to find one better than Cousins?
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 8
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 6
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9