Jun 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Is DeMarcus Cousins a max player?
There’s a new ownership regime in Sacramento and from owner Vivek Ranadive on through new coach Michael Malone everyone has talked about Cousins as a cornerstone of the franchise and part of their future.
But will they give him max money? Cousins is eligible for an extension to his rookie contract this summer and guess what he and his agent want? From the Sacramento Bee:
Cousins is eligible for a contract extension this summer, and Fegan wants a maximum deal for his client with the threat of a trade demand looming if a deal isn’t reached.
Cousins averaged 17.1 points and 9.9 rebounds a game last season, shooting a respectable 46.5 percent, with an All-Star level PER of 20.2. But the question with him has never been his talent or physical gifts, it’s his head that leads him to get frustrated at points, take silly fouls and technicals, and take himself out of the game more quickly than any opponent can. He has feuded with every pro coach he has had about his commitment to the team.
For the Kings, you need a superstar franchise anchor to build around, one worthy of a max contract. Are you going to find one better than Cousins?
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4