David Stern talks about why nation doesn’t fully embrace Spurs

Jun 20, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT

NBA Commissioner David Stern — at least for seven more months — swung by the Dan Patrick Show to talk all things about the Association such as Dennis Rodman in North Korea and the coaching carousel.

But the interesting discussion comes in near the end, when Stern and Patrick discuss why the nation has been slow to fully embrace the San Antonio Spurs and their brand of basketball. And they don’t — ratings for this Finals (at least before Game 6) were lower than last year (when there was no Game 6), and this has historically been the case with the Spurs.

Go ahead and blame the media if you want, but to me it’s a chicken-or-the-egg question? Why are there more Miami Heat/LeBron James (and Lakers and Knicks and Derrick Rose) stories on this site than Bobcats and Grizzlies? Because you click on them in far greater numbers. Be it the more casual fan or however you choose to define it, the simple numbers tell me people care more about LeBron riding his bike to the arena than they do an analysis of the Pacers pick-and-roll coverage. There’s room for both on the Web (and on this blog), but the media is more of a democracy than you think — you get more of what you choose to read. You don’t have to like it, but that’s the reality. And the reality of the Spurs in the national marketplace.

1. hwatt - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM

“…the simple numbers tell me people care more about LeBron riding his bike to the arena than they do an analysis of the Pacers pick-and-roll coverage.”

Aaah, that fresh feeling of honesty. I like it. If you put this on a banner somewhere on the site half the whiney posts go away. But if you ever hear about if D Rose prefers hot sauce or mild sauce on his chicken wangs then I WANNA KNOW. it’s a big deal around here.

2. 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I’ll have to admit, I am an avid basketball fan, and when it comes to the Spurs, I respect them. I just dont get around to watching them too often. I really only watch my heat play and dont stay up for most West Coast games. but I never slept on the spurs because I know how good they are.that is why I said id take miami in 7.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM

the Spurs beat my Knickerbockers for the
      championship so I should just love them for that.

3. dezglobal - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM

It’s bc they play solid defense, Tim Duncan isn’t entertaining to watch and no one ever looks happy.

4. pmx8411 - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

just let the haters do their job….haters hate winners

5. spursareold - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM

It’s because the media is STILL beating the “Spurs are boring” drum 3-4 years after they totally revamped their offense. They don’t realize that the Spurs don’t care what they say, and that they’re damaging their OWN ratings by doing it. Pretty stupid if you ask me. That would be like GM’s board trashing the Camaro at their shareholder’s meeting, and then wondering why they don’t sell.

• 2late2matter - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

After yesterday’s firing of George Zimmerman from Men’s Warehouse I will never again think that GM wouldn’t trash its Camaro, but….

Actually the fact that more people (fans?) are watching to see LeChoke lose this Finals doesn’t speak much to any genuine fan base or theory explaining why consistent 50-win seasons from the humble, quiet Spurs team gains less MSM than one egocentric, narcissistic player on the Heat

• asimonetti88 - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

George Zimmer.

George Zimmerman is the guy on trial for shooting Trayvon Martin.

• 2late2matter - Jul 12, 2013 at 7:44 PM

You’re right (of course). Too many Georges in the news lately. Sorry.

George Zimmer was of MW fame and fortune…..

6. dolphindubs - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Basketball fans watch the Finals regardless of team affiliation, just for the love of the game. Thats the “base” ratings numbers. Bandwagon fans inflate ratings numbers by only wanting to watch certain teams in it to watch them win or watch them lose, and dont watch when there isnt a team to root for or against.

7. brucster - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM

The NBA would rather sell, promote super stars instead of the teams The NBA needs to realize that the NFL has no problem promoting the Super Bowl… no matter what teams plays in it., and they make a wealth of money in doing so. But the NFL also shows the beauty of defense and the beauty of other plays. The NBA high lights are the dunk. How much more the NBA could expand their market and base if they High Light all the beauty of basketball, the passes, the bank shots, the hook shots….One superstar and four players standing around is boring….

8. 808raiderinparadise - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Tony Parker looks like a creepy sloth …

Duncan has a Ogar.Shrek thing going on with a stoic face ….

Ginobli is the random guy at a pick up game that everyone wants to defened before the game, but then not after

K. Leonard looks bored, dis-interested

Theres no swagger besides Danny Green and Pop

• anhdazman - Jun 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Spurs play like a well oiled machine and believe in team play. Not like most teams who have individual players yelling, screaming, chest pounding look at me, me, me!
      That’s why they’re always in the Championship hunt.

9. 22goat22 - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Sounds like a great strategy to me. Cater to the ignorant fans instead of providing them the information so they can become knowledgable, watering down the sites content until it becomes probasketballtmz.com. meanwhile alienating the real fans, and blaming them saying this is what you want.

I could honestly care less whether Lebron plans to wear his headband or not for game 7. But thanks for the info.

10. gmsingh123 - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

The Spurs don’t flop–isn’t that want NBA fans want? Other than Ginobili, that is. But I don’t think he flops like used to.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Parker?

• gmsingh123 - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I’ve never seen Parker act like a foul should’ve been called against the guy hitting him. The closest he comes is having a disgusted look on his face. If you went back through tape of the Finals I’ll bet you could find twenty to thirty times fouls should have been called when he drove to the hoop. Beyond the conspiracy theories that the games are fixed, the NBA is the only pro sport in America where the fans think the officiating is a joke. There is no consistency ever. This needs to be addressed if they want the sport to have credibility.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

You spend a lot of time watching and commenting on a sport you don’t think has credibility.

• gmsingh123 - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Sure, because I’m a diehard Bulls fan. I’d love to see it return to the days when it had credibility. But the bottom line is that I’m a consumer of the NBA’s product, and if I think they are putting out a crappy product I have every right to say so. If it gets to the point where I feel I have to stop watching I’m sure I will. Especially in another hundred years when the Cubbies get good.

11. kosmokenny - Jun 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Tuck Fexas

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches