Jun 19, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• The Philadelphia 76ers coaching search could go on until after Summer League in mid-July. So pull up a chair and get comfortable.
• Jerry Stackhouse says the NBA Players Association (the union) is in no rush to hire someone to replace Billy Hunter.
• Bulls fans thinking Carlos Boozer will be amnestied this summer should be thinking the summer of 2014 instead.
• Isiah Thomas likes the direction the Knicks are headed.
• In Indiana they are waiting to hear if former GM Larry Bird will return to the franchise. Pacers owner Herb Simon expects to hear a decision from Bird shortly.
• Bucks coach Larry Drew brought Bob Bender and Nick Van Exel up as assistant coaches from his Atlanta staff.
• Here is what new Nuggets GM Tim Connelly said at his introductory press conference.
• Patrick Ewing said he chose Georgetown over North Carolina to play his college ball because there was a Klu Klux Klan rally in NC when he was being recruited.
• This is a fantastic look at the fall of Javaris Crittenton.
• Otis Birdsog, Danny Manning and others former NBA players helped out recent tornado vicitims.
• If you live in Los Angeles, tickets have gone on sale for a charity event, Kobe Up Close hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live on Thursday, August 15th. All proceeds from the event will benefit the Kobe & Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation to support their work toward eliminating homelessness.
• The Wizards Jan Vesley in a remake of the Bestie Boys “Sabotage” video? We got that.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT
LOS ANGELES — Before his Suns took on the Los Angeles Clippers Monday night, coach Jeff Hornacek talked about liking his team’s toughness, saying its something he took away from playing under Jerry Sloan in Utah. Not sure this is exactly what he meant. Midway through the fourth quarter P.J. Tucker and Blake Griffin got…
Mar 11, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
With former Utah Jazz teammate of Karl Malone Jeff Hornacek in the building — actually sitting courtside as coach of the Phoenix Suns — Blake Griffin decided to do a little tribute. He threw down the Mailman dunk. (Griffin has spoken of looking up to the Mailman before, it not a coincidence.) Then he threw…
Mar 10, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
LOS ANGELES — Phoenix is in a fight to make the playoffs in the West – it entered Monday night tied with Memphis for the last and final playoff spot in the West — and they could use this: Eric Bledsoe is on track to play Wednesday, coach Jeff Hornacek said Monday night before his…
Mar 10, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Serious charge of fun challenge?
Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Run, Phil, run
Mar 10, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
We’ve got a real nice feud brewing. Patrick Beverley and Damian Lillard are both tough point guards on contending Western Conference teams. They both overcame long odds to reach the NBA and play with justified pride now that they’re here. And both are unafraid to speak their mind. Lillard lobbed the opening salvo after Houston’s…
Mar 10, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Does he mean Carmelo Anthony, Andrea Bargnani or J.R. Smith?
Mar 10, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
Phil Jackson seems destined for New York. I argue that’s a good thing… but only if Jackson has a Jedi mind trick that can keep James Dolan at bay.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Kansas’ Joel Embiid — potentially the top pick in the upcoming NBA Draft — has sought out a second opinion on his back injury. Just a reminder of why he should jump to the NBA rather than stay another year in college.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
As if his season hasn’t been a big enough disappointment, Cleveland’s No. 1 overall pick Anthony Bennett will miss at least 10 games with a knee strain.
Mar 10, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Nobody thinks Mike D’Antoni is the long term answer for the Lakers, but what is the point of switching out coaches this late in a lost season?
Mar 10, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
All the buzz has Phil Jackson taking a front office job with the Knicks (he’s just deliberate in making decisions like this)… but nobody asked Carmelo what he thought? Really?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
With a number of top teams stumbling — Oklahoma City, Miami, Indiana — it is the Spurs who have gotten healthy and looked good going 6-0 since the end of the rodeo trip. The West now dominates the top of the rankings, the Sixers are looking to set records at the bottom. 1. Spurs (46-16,…
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Bulls fans have taken to chanting “M-V-P” when Joakim Noah heads to the free throw line — and he does not like it one bit.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
“Quick, 15-20 seconds, throw few punches, then referees jump in and break this thing up.”
Mar 10, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
As a member of the Jazz, Al Jefferson once encouraged Utah fans to boo their own team. When he returned to Utah in December as a Charlotte Bobcat, Jazz fans cheered him. Now, another former Utah big man, Paul Millsap, is encouraging Jazz fans to boo him when he returns with the Atlanta Hawks. Paul…
Mar 10, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
This 15-second sequence tells you all you need to know about the Rockets point guard.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Who held the record previously? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Mar 10, 2014, 10:07 AM EDT
Dad was focused on the game just a l’il bit.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Durant shooting even more – even if those extra shots are relatively inefficient – would make him more similar to history’s other high-end scorers. And that option remains on the table for him.
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 8
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 13
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 37
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 13
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 14