Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant

Jun 19, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT

Image (1) nba_sloan.jpg for post 1640 AP

Jerry Sloan is back with the Utah Jazz, and the world just seems a little more orderly.

The Jazz have brought back Sloan as a “senior basketball advisor” the team announced on Wednesday.

What does that mean? Some player evaluations (both before the draft at workouts and at places like Summer League), a little scouting, he’s also attend some practices and work with coach Tyron Corbin.

“In my new role with the Jazz franchise, I hope to help the basketball operations staff and Ty in any way that I can to achieve their goals,” said Sloan in a released statement. “I would like to thank the Miller family for the opportunity to be part of the organization again.”

“I am glad Jerry is going to continue to be involved with our organization,” Corbin said. “We will benefit from his wealth of basketball experience. I am looking forward to his continued contributions.”

Sloan was the head coach of the Jazz for 23 years, taking the team to the playoffs 19 years and the NBA Finals twice (he’d have a ring but for that Michael Jordan guy). He quit abruptly mid-season a couple years ago and Corbin took over.

A number of NBA teams had reached out to Sloan about returning to coaching, but this seems a much better fit.

And with the right team.

1. pmx8411 - Jun 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

ohh come on Jerry….you know you want to coach the jazz…….come on Jerry YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!! bwahahah

2. pmx8411 - Jun 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

3. JMClarkent - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I like it! For all of his years of service, he definitely belongs in the organization.

4. mungman69 - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM

George Karl belongs there too.

5. brugis23 - Jun 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM

As a Jazz fan I was looking for some sort of a big change, this is not it. I’m happy about it, but this won’t win the Jazz a championship, so Greg killer, how many more years of mediocrity?

6. redbearwoodall - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

So, it’s official. Deron Williams drove him to quit. Good luck with that deadbeat, Brooklyn.

7. badintent - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM

In other news, Karl Malone tells the media that he is ready and willing to help the Jazz big men . Phone not ringing , Karl

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches