Jun 19, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Say whatever you will about how the Grizzlies dumped Lionel Hollins – and there’s a lot to say, most of it not favorable to the team’s management – but they’re conducting this coaching search the right way.
They didn’t rush to hire the favored but unproven assistant, Dave Joerger. Instead, they interviewed safer choices like George Karl and Alvin Gentry and another promising assistant in the Bulls’ Ed Pinckney.
Bulls assistant coach Ed Pinckney will have a second interview for the Grizzlies’ head-coaching vacancy Wednesday in Memphis, CSNChicago.com has learned.
Pinckney initially interviewed with Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien last week in New York and according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the initial discussions went well enough that Memphis believes the former Villanova star’s candidacy warrants further review.
There is no guarantee the Grizzlies will hire the right coach, but they’re putting themselves in the best position by thoroughly vetting so many quality candidates. Joerger, Karl and Gentry are obviously quality candidates, which is a lower standard than a quality hire. Pinckney, based on the virtue of getting a second interview in that field, also seems like a quality candidate now.
Whoever the Grizzlies offer the job won’t get it because he was already on staff or because he had head-coaching experience. He’ll get that offer because he outshined the other quality candidates, and that’s a strong positive indicator he’ll be successful in Memphis.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18