Jun 19, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Say whatever you will about how the Grizzlies dumped Lionel Hollins – and there’s a lot to say, most of it not favorable to the team’s management – but they’re conducting this coaching search the right way.
They didn’t rush to hire the favored but unproven assistant, Dave Joerger. Instead, they interviewed safer choices like George Karl and Alvin Gentry and another promising assistant in the Bulls’ Ed Pinckney.
Bulls assistant coach Ed Pinckney will have a second interview for the Grizzlies’ head-coaching vacancy Wednesday in Memphis, CSNChicago.com has learned.
Pinckney initially interviewed with Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien last week in New York and according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the initial discussions went well enough that Memphis believes the former Villanova star’s candidacy warrants further review.
There is no guarantee the Grizzlies will hire the right coach, but they’re putting themselves in the best position by thoroughly vetting so many quality candidates. Joerger, Karl and Gentry are obviously quality candidates, which is a lower standard than a quality hire. Pinckney, based on the virtue of getting a second interview in that field, also seems like a quality candidate now.
Whoever the Grizzlies offer the job won’t get it because he was already on staff or because he had head-coaching experience. He’ll get that offer because he outshined the other quality candidates, and that’s a strong positive indicator he’ll be successful in Memphis.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11