Jun 19, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Say whatever you will about how the Grizzlies dumped Lionel Hollins – and there’s a lot to say, most of it not favorable to the team’s management – but they’re conducting this coaching search the right way.
They didn’t rush to hire the favored but unproven assistant, Dave Joerger. Instead, they interviewed safer choices like George Karl and Alvin Gentry and another promising assistant in the Bulls’ Ed Pinckney.
Bulls assistant coach Ed Pinckney will have a second interview for the Grizzlies’ head-coaching vacancy Wednesday in Memphis, CSNChicago.com has learned.
Pinckney initially interviewed with Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien last week in New York and according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the initial discussions went well enough that Memphis believes the former Villanova star’s candidacy warrants further review.
There is no guarantee the Grizzlies will hire the right coach, but they’re putting themselves in the best position by thoroughly vetting so many quality candidates. Joerger, Karl and Gentry are obviously quality candidates, which is a lower standard than a quality hire. Pinckney, based on the virtue of getting a second interview in that field, also seems like a quality candidate now.
Whoever the Grizzlies offer the job won’t get it because he was already on staff or because he had head-coaching experience. He’ll get that offer because he outshined the other quality candidates, and that’s a strong positive indicator he’ll be successful in Memphis.
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 1
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 0
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 20
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 13
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)