Jun 19, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Say whatever you will about how the Grizzlies dumped Lionel Hollins – and there’s a lot to say, most of it not favorable to the team’s management – but they’re conducting this coaching search the right way.
They didn’t rush to hire the favored but unproven assistant, Dave Joerger. Instead, they interviewed safer choices like George Karl and Alvin Gentry and another promising assistant in the Bulls’ Ed Pinckney.
Bulls assistant coach Ed Pinckney will have a second interview for the Grizzlies’ head-coaching vacancy Wednesday in Memphis, CSNChicago.com has learned.
Pinckney initially interviewed with Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien last week in New York and according to a person with knowledge of the situation, the initial discussions went well enough that Memphis believes the former Villanova star’s candidacy warrants further review.
There is no guarantee the Grizzlies will hire the right coach, but they’re putting themselves in the best position by thoroughly vetting so many quality candidates. Joerger, Karl and Gentry are obviously quality candidates, which is a lower standard than a quality hire. Pinckney, based on the virtue of getting a second interview in that field, also seems like a quality candidate now.
Whoever the Grizzlies offer the job won’t get it because he was already on staff or because he had head-coaching experience. He’ll get that offer because he outshined the other quality candidates, and that’s a strong positive indicator he’ll be successful in Memphis.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 2
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 5
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14