Jun 19, 2013, 4:35 AM EDT
You’ll have to excuses ESPN for not mentioning LeBron James achieving a triple-double during the Heat’s 103-100 win over the Spurs until Game 6 ended.
LeBron grabbed his 10th rebound – capping a 32-point, 11-assist, 10-rebound, three-steal game – on Chris Bosh’s block of Tony Parker’s jumper with 31 seconds left, setting off a whirlwind finish that included Dwyane Wade missing a jumper, Manu Ginobili turning the ball over, Ray Allen making a pair of free throws and Chris Bosh blocking Danny Green’s 3-pointer at the buzzer. LeBron’s triple-double was, deservedly, an afterthought in one of the greatest Finals games in recent years.
But taking a step back, LeBron has made his mark in historic terms with his all-around games.
How many triple-doubles in the NBA Finals?
- LeBron: Four
- Every other active player combined: Three
How many triple-doubles in the 2013 playoffs?
- LeBron: Three
- Every other player combined: Two
LeBron has clearly outshined his peers in this area, but he’s still a step behind a predecessor, though only one predecessor, when it comes to all-time rank in Finals triple-doubles:
1. Magic Johnson, 8
2. LeBron James, 4
3. Walt Frazier, 2
3. Bob Cousy, 2
3. Bill Russell, 2
3. Larry Bird, 2
3. Wilt Chamberlain, 2
LeBron’s two triple-doubles in a single Finals series are the most since Magic also had two in 1991.
When it comes to playoff triple-doubles, LeBron now also trails only Magic:
1. Magic Johnson, 30
2. LeBron James, 11
2. Jason Kidd, 11
4. Rajon Rondo, 10
4. Larry Bird, 10
Of course, these historic rankings won’t – or at least shouldn’t – determine whether LeBron is recognized as having the best individual Finals in 2013. But obviously, a couple triple-doubles put him in great shape. LeBron leads these Finals in points, assists and steals and ranks seconds in rebounds (to Tim Duncan).
If the Heat win Game 7 on Thursday, which seems more likely than not, LeBron is in great shape to land his second Finals MVP whether or not he gets yet another third triple-double.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18