Jun 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
To that end, Rivers and Celtics GM Danny Ainge are expected to sit down face-to-face Wednesday and talk, Ainge told the Boston Herald.
“I am meeting with Doc tomorrow,” Ainge confirmed to the Herald. “He’s coming to town. He was coming to town before the events of today, so we were planning on meeting tomorrow anyway….
“I don’t know if anything will be decided tomorrow or if anything will be resolved,” said Ainge, the Celtics’ president of basketball operations. “I just know that I’m meeting with him.”
Through everything Ainge has said publicly (and leaked plenty) that he wants Rivers back to coach the team. Those two have a great relationship.
Most likely Rivers would only come back for one more year if Ainge guarantees him Paul Pierce will not be bought out or traded, and if Kevin Garnett decides to play one more season in Boston. They are a group package — if one goes most likely they all go.
Hopefully Rivers and Ainge will make a statement to provide some clarity to the situation, but don’t bet on it.
The Celtics hand will be called at the end of the month, when they are forced to decide if they keep Pierce for one more season at $15 million or buy him out for $5 million. That may be the first domino to fall.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 2
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 19
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 72
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13