Jun 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
To that end, Rivers and Celtics GM Danny Ainge are expected to sit down face-to-face Wednesday and talk, Ainge told the Boston Herald.
“I am meeting with Doc tomorrow,” Ainge confirmed to the Herald. “He’s coming to town. He was coming to town before the events of today, so we were planning on meeting tomorrow anyway….
“I don’t know if anything will be decided tomorrow or if anything will be resolved,” said Ainge, the Celtics’ president of basketball operations. “I just know that I’m meeting with him.”
Through everything Ainge has said publicly (and leaked plenty) that he wants Rivers back to coach the team. Those two have a great relationship.
Most likely Rivers would only come back for one more year if Ainge guarantees him Paul Pierce will not be bought out or traded, and if Kevin Garnett decides to play one more season in Boston. They are a group package — if one goes most likely they all go.
Hopefully Rivers and Ainge will make a statement to provide some clarity to the situation, but don’t bet on it.
The Celtics hand will be called at the end of the month, when they are forced to decide if they keep Pierce for one more season at $15 million or buy him out for $5 million. That may be the first domino to fall.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3