Jun 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
To that end, Rivers and Celtics GM Danny Ainge are expected to sit down face-to-face Wednesday and talk, Ainge told the Boston Herald.
“I am meeting with Doc tomorrow,” Ainge confirmed to the Herald. “He’s coming to town. He was coming to town before the events of today, so we were planning on meeting tomorrow anyway….
“I don’t know if anything will be decided tomorrow or if anything will be resolved,” said Ainge, the Celtics’ president of basketball operations. “I just know that I’m meeting with him.”
Through everything Ainge has said publicly (and leaked plenty) that he wants Rivers back to coach the team. Those two have a great relationship.
Most likely Rivers would only come back for one more year if Ainge guarantees him Paul Pierce will not be bought out or traded, and if Kevin Garnett decides to play one more season in Boston. They are a group package — if one goes most likely they all go.
Hopefully Rivers and Ainge will make a statement to provide some clarity to the situation, but don’t bet on it.
The Celtics hand will be called at the end of the month, when they are forced to decide if they keep Pierce for one more season at $15 million or buy him out for $5 million. That may be the first domino to fall.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5