Jun 19, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
Clippers management believed Boston would eventually come back to them out of a belief that the Celtics-Rivers relationship would be difficult to repair, but league sources told Y! Sports that Paul’s desire to play for Rivers – and with Garnett – has been a significant motivator for Los Angeles.
Well, the deal isn’t necessarily dead.
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
Where did we leave off before the Clippers ended the discussion (and putting themselves in position to look foolish now by asking to restart it)?
The Celtics wanted DeAndre Jordan and two first-round picks. The Clippers were willing to trade Jordan and one first-round pick.
This doesn’t seem like an impossible gap to bridge. Maybe the Celtics accept a second-round pick or two instead of the second first-round pick. Maybe the Celtics accept tighter protections on the first-round picks. Or maybe the Celtics get both first-rounders but send Los Angeles a second-rounder. There are a lot of possibilities.
There’s also plenty of time to sort this out.
The Celtics can buy out Paul Pierce’s $15,333,334 contract for the 2013-14 season before July 1 for just $5 million. Until Boston commits to a decision on Pierce, the relevant factors for a trade with Los Angeles don’t really change.
The Clippers know this, and if they want Rivers and Garnett, they can wait to hire a head coach until Pierce’s fate is determined. That’s why Los Angeles isn’t acting as foolishly as it looks.
Until the Clippers hire another coach or the Celtics handle final year of Pierce’s contract, it’s difficult to believe this trade will truly die.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 6
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 14
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11