Big television ratings for Game 6… Game 7 might be huge

Jun 19, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT

BKN-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-HEAT-GAME 6 Getty Images

As a series moves deeper ratings go up — and Game 6 lived up to that, with a huge jump in viewership for ABC.

An estimated 16.8 million people — a 14.7 rating — tuned in to watch Game 6, ESPN announced. The previous high this series had been 11.4 million viewers for a game (a 10 rating for Game 4 Thursday).

That Game 6 viewership is the fourth highest all time for an ABC finals game, trailing only the Boston Celtics-Los Angeles Lakers Game 7 in 2010 (18.2 ratings points), Los Angeles Lakers-Detroit Pistons Game 5 in 2004 (15.5) and Miami Heat-Dallas Mavericks Game 6 in 2011 (15.0).

After a thrilling Game 6, ABC can expect some gigantic numbers for Game 7 Thursday night.

Let’s just hope it’s as entertaining a game.

1. goraidersgospurs - Jun 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Lets just hope this series stick with the win/lose format!!!

2. dezglobal - Jun 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Can’t go wrong w a game 7.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM

unless you lose.

• spthegr8 - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM

It’s amazing what some good, competitive basketball can do to the ratings. As a fan of basketball I’m excited for game 7. These game 7’s are ALOT easier when your team isn’t playing.

3. cantonbound13 - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Well done Stern, now appoint your boy Scott Foster to finish it off.

• soflasfinest - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Just. Go. Away.

4. canehouse - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM

canton… take the tin foil off of ur head… there is no conspiracy! How about Pop sneaking Duncan back into the game during the Allen review. That’s a big no-no… usually warrants a Tech. Huge miss by the refs. Essentially OT wouldn’t have been needed.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM

how about the mugging of Ginobili not being called? Missed that one homer?

• HotHotHeat - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM

If the Spurs didn’t miss their free throws there wouldn’t have been an OT. Or do you also believe the Spurs purposely lost the game???

• heat256 - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Ok Canton, here’s a chance to see what you’re made of. Roles reversed, and it’s Lebron that was in Ginobli’s place. Would you come out and say the Heat was treated unfairly by the refs?

• cantonbound13 - Jun 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Look who’s back! The Keyboard tough guy that only posts after a win.

• gmsingh123 - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM

That game was really weird. For three quarters it looked like the officiating was going to be passable, and then the fourth quarter happened. Miller blocking a shot by Duncan, and then Duncan putting the ball through the hoop, only to have the basket waived off and a “jump ball” called said everything I needed to know about how fair that game was.

• heat256 - Jun 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Figures you wouldn’t respond, chump. Only trying to talk crap from the safety of your hovel. I’m sure Stern is laughing at mental rejects like you that trash his league, yet watch his product religiously and flog their little Vienna sausage over the mere mention of a team in Miami, to thankfully divert attention away from that giant turd of a franchise known as the Knicks. HAHAHA. Man you are sad. Even your imaginary friends aren’t taking your calls anymore.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Big talk from a keyboard tough guy that was MIA after game 5. I’d say you were one of the bandwagoners that left early last night but now a days food stamps can’t buy basketball tickets.

• heat256 - Jun 20, 2013 at 8:33 AM

For someone who doesn’t use their real name calling someone else out, that’s rich. I’d be more than willing to say these exact words to your face, if you’re man enough. But just like the question I posed to you that you conveniently chose to ignore, I won’t expect you to respond. Only with deflections and lame insults. Your next intelligent response will be your first, son.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

and your real name is heat? You are truly an idiot. I have no problem meeting you anywhere. When you realize how much bigger I am than you I’m sure you will run & hide like you do on here after a heat loss.

• heat256 - Jun 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I’ll be at the Carolina Ale House in Weston for tonight’s game. Want to meet there around 8:30?

• cantonbound13 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM

@heat256
        I’ll be in my big beautiful house in Aventura, watching my big beautiful tv, while your big mom is on my lap serving me as we laugh about how pathetic you & your team is.
        I’m not going to drive out to Weston to realize you’re not there. Besides you’re probably some 25 year old that still lives with mom & dad with LeBron posters hanging in his room.

• heat256 - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Naturally you back out. Coward. Anyone who tries to say what they have, almost always doesn’t have it. Way to punk out, but that’s who you are. But why not one more shot. I’m familiar with Aventura, name your place.

• chicitybulls - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Pop called a time out after the review which allowed him to sub Duncan in.

• HotHotHeat - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Incorrect. Spurs used their last timeout after the Lebron 3.

• heat256 - Jun 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

No. It was during an official’s review, which is not allowed. However, if they didn’t catch it and the Spurs won, there’d be no way to reverse it by the league.

5. fanofevilempire - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I’m going to skip game 7even and live the rest of my life
    never wondering what the out come is.
    This is a awesome idea, I’m glad I came up with it!

6. dolphindubs - Jun 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

What Allen did to Ginobli was no different than what Green did to James moments before on that breakaway. If they’re not going to call it for the two time defending league MVP, then they don’t need to call it for a bench player

• gmsingh123 - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Speaking of what Allen did, he also committed a flagrant against Parker which wasn’t called, and, as usual, a clear replay of what happened wasn’t shown either.

• bucrightoff - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:47 AM

So Green getting all ball and Allen getting mostly arm are the same? I see. Look, Heat fans are despised for this very reason: Well a) Because they leave closeout games before they’re over and b) They really mock the game of basketball. That was a foul on Allen, clear as day, but that is not why San Antonio lost. The worst part here is if Ginobili had done the hack to LeBron and there was no call you’d be losing your mind, which of course makes you a hypocrite.

7. dolphindubs - Jun 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Pop didnt have any timeouts to call

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches