Jun 19, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Apparently, those other interviews weren’t just for show before hiring Joerger, because the Grizzlies are on round two of interviews.
Alvin Gentry will meet with Memphis Grizzlies officials to discuss their head-coaching opening for the second time on Thursday in Memphis, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Gentry first interviewed for the Grizzlies’ opening on Friday in Washington, D.C.
Gentry was also reportedly a candidate with the Nuggets and Clippers, though it seems he’s fallen behind in both searches. Even if Gentry doesn’t land a head-coaching job this offseason, he’s positioned himself to get one next summer.
After his Suns tenure ended with three straight years without a winning record and being fired mid-season, Gentry needed some positive momentum. Being a candidate for three of the, if not the, best openings on the market will do that, especially because the Grizzlies liked him enough to interview him twice.
Teams with openings next summer will now think positively of him when lining up candidates – unless he’s already coaching Memphis.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 0
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 1
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 27
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17