Jun 19, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Apparently, those other interviews weren’t just for show before hiring Joerger, because the Grizzlies are on round two of interviews.
Alvin Gentry will meet with Memphis Grizzlies officials to discuss their head-coaching opening for the second time on Thursday in Memphis, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Gentry first interviewed for the Grizzlies’ opening on Friday in Washington, D.C.
Gentry was also reportedly a candidate with the Nuggets and Clippers, though it seems he’s fallen behind in both searches. Even if Gentry doesn’t land a head-coaching job this offseason, he’s positioned himself to get one next summer.
After his Suns tenure ended with three straight years without a winning record and being fired mid-season, Gentry needed some positive momentum. Being a candidate for three of the, if not the, best openings on the market will do that, especially because the Grizzlies liked him enough to interview him twice.
Teams with openings next summer will now think positively of him when lining up candidates – unless he’s already coaching Memphis.
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 10
- Report: Rick Adelman will not return as Timberwolves coach 9
- Kyrie Irving would be ‘excited’ if Cavaliers offer max contract extension 9
- 2014 PBT Awards: Defensive Player of the Year 18