Jun 19, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Apparently, those other interviews weren’t just for show before hiring Joerger, because the Grizzlies are on round two of interviews.
Alvin Gentry will meet with Memphis Grizzlies officials to discuss their head-coaching opening for the second time on Thursday in Memphis, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Gentry first interviewed for the Grizzlies’ opening on Friday in Washington, D.C.
Gentry was also reportedly a candidate with the Nuggets and Clippers, though it seems he’s fallen behind in both searches. Even if Gentry doesn’t land a head-coaching job this offseason, he’s positioned himself to get one next summer.
After his Suns tenure ended with three straight years without a winning record and being fired mid-season, Gentry needed some positive momentum. Being a candidate for three of the, if not the, best openings on the market will do that, especially because the Grizzlies liked him enough to interview him twice.
Teams with openings next summer will now think positively of him when lining up candidates – unless he’s already coaching Memphis.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 2
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1