Jun 19, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Apparently, those other interviews weren’t just for show before hiring Joerger, because the Grizzlies are on round two of interviews.
Alvin Gentry will meet with Memphis Grizzlies officials to discuss their head-coaching opening for the second time on Thursday in Memphis, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Gentry first interviewed for the Grizzlies’ opening on Friday in Washington, D.C.
Gentry was also reportedly a candidate with the Nuggets and Clippers, though it seems he’s fallen behind in both searches. Even if Gentry doesn’t land a head-coaching job this offseason, he’s positioned himself to get one next summer.
After his Suns tenure ended with three straight years without a winning record and being fired mid-season, Gentry needed some positive momentum. Being a candidate for three of the, if not the, best openings on the market will do that, especially because the Grizzlies liked him enough to interview him twice.
Teams with openings next summer will now think positively of him when lining up candidates – unless he’s already coaching Memphis.
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 0
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 1
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 18
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 17