Jun 18, 2013, 2:19 AM EDT
The Clippers and Celtics keep inching toward a deal.
The sides are close but there is no deal yet so they will talk again Tuesday, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
For the Los Angeles Clippers to bring Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers to chase the franchise’s first NBA championship, the price to complete a deal could come down to a willingness to include an additional first-round draft pick in the package to the Boston Celtics, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Monday night.
After pushing for the Clippers to take back long-term contracts, the Celtics relented and have shown willingness to complete the deal for DeAndre Jordanand two first-round draft picks, sources said. The Clippers are willing to give the Celtics Jordan and one draft pick, but were resisting a second future pick, sources said.
A previous iteration of the deal had the Clippers taking on the contracts of Jason Terry or Courtney Lee in exchange of Caron Butler, but that seems to be off the table Wojnaroski said. At first the Celtics wanted Eric Bledsoe in the trade, but that was a deal breaker and the Celtics have backed off that demand also.
If this deal goes down the Clippers take another step toward contender — if Garnett and Paul Pierce (who the Celtics will buy out and likely signs with Los Angeles) can stay healthy. Rivers brings credibility, and if KG and Pierce are healthy they would bring some more offensive diversity as well as some defensive stability.
Chris Paul is going to sign with the Clippers anyway, but this would make it a lock.
To do this Clippers owner Donald Sterling will have to agree to a five-year, $35 million deal as coach, plus pay part of Jordan’s trade kicker. To his credit, he seems very willing to do this (something out of character with his past as an owner, but he has gotten the taste of winning and seems to like it).
This is all very fragile, but if the Celtics are going to blow it up I’m not sure they get much of a better deal.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50