Jun 18, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
While the NCAA and its ridiculous rules force American college players to make their draft decisions much earlier, international players and those not in college have longer to make their decision.
That deadline was today and 18 players pulled out the league announced.
The biggest one we already knew, Dario Saric of Croatia. DraftExpress had him going No. 21 before he pulled out, and he might have gone higher than that. He’s a vintage European big man — 6’10” but he plays like a small forward. He sees the court well, is a great ball handler and passer. He just needed his game to mature, his jumper to be steadier and to put on some muscle.
Also out is Norvel Pelle, the 6’10 big man of Los Angeles College Preparatory Academy. He might have been a late second round pick at best, he’s raw and needs a lot of work according to reports.
Here is the full list (outside of Saric it doesn’t impact the draft that much:
Norvel Pelle (Los Angeles College Preparatory Academy)
Joshua Simmons (Spartanburg Methodist, JC)
Francois Affia Ambadiang (Slovenia)
Nemanja Besovic (Serbia)
Bogdan Bogdanovic (Serbia)
Matias Bortolin (Austria)
Linos Chrysikopoulos (Greece)
Dorde Drenovac (Italy)
Viktor Gaddefors (Italy)
Mouhammadou Jaiteh (France)
Louis Labeyrie (France)
Philipp Neumann (Germany)
Artem Pustovyi (Ukraine)
Marko Ramljak (Croatia)
Dario Saric (Croatia)
Walter Tavares (Spain)
Axel Toupane (France)
Adin Vrabac (Bosnia)
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 24
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14