Jun 18, 2013, 2:28 PM EDT
While the NCAA and its ridiculous rules force American college players to make their draft decisions much earlier, international players and those not in college have longer to make their decision.
That deadline was today and 18 players pulled out the league announced.
The biggest one we already knew, Dario Saric of Croatia. DraftExpress had him going No. 21 before he pulled out, and he might have gone higher than that. He’s a vintage European big man — 6’10” but he plays like a small forward. He sees the court well, is a great ball handler and passer. He just needed his game to mature, his jumper to be steadier and to put on some muscle.
Also out is Norvel Pelle, the 6’10 big man of Los Angeles College Preparatory Academy. He might have been a late second round pick at best, he’s raw and needs a lot of work according to reports.
Here is the full list (outside of Saric it doesn’t impact the draft that much:
Norvel Pelle (Los Angeles College Preparatory Academy)
Joshua Simmons (Spartanburg Methodist, JC)
Francois Affia Ambadiang (Slovenia)
Nemanja Besovic (Serbia)
Bogdan Bogdanovic (Serbia)
Matias Bortolin (Austria)
Linos Chrysikopoulos (Greece)
Dorde Drenovac (Italy)
Viktor Gaddefors (Italy)
Mouhammadou Jaiteh (France)
Louis Labeyrie (France)
Philipp Neumann (Germany)
Artem Pustovyi (Ukraine)
Marko Ramljak (Croatia)
Dario Saric (Croatia)
Walter Tavares (Spain)
Axel Toupane (France)
Adin Vrabac (Bosnia)
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 0
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 24
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 18
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 25
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 28
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 38
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29