Jun 18, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
As noted at the time, it would be interesting to see what teams would go after a volume shooter — he scored 19.2 points a game but shot just 41.6 percent — but one entering what should be the prime of his career.
How about Dallas and Atlanta? And somehow the Lakers, according to Chris Broussard of ESPN.com.
Sources say the Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks and the Los Angeles Lakers have interest in Ellis, although the Lakers could get Ellis only via an unlikely sign-and-trade deal.
Ellis, who originally signed a six-year, $66 million deal with the Golden State Warriors, is close with Lakers free agent Dwight Howard. The two have long desired to play together.
Atlanta is looking to build a Spurs-style organization (GM Danny Ferry and coach Mike Budenholzer are Spurs alums) with Al Horford in the middle of it. Does that strike you as a fit with Ellis?
Dallas is looking for a superstar to build around and until they get that are offering only short-term deals until they find that guy. I could see them making a one or two-year offer to Ellis, but likely not the kind of deal he is looking for.
The Lakers? Not bloody likely. Even if Howard re-signs with the Lakers the L.A. pitch is that in 2014 they will have only him and Steve Nash on the payroll. Plus, Ellis could only come to the Lakers on the taxpayers midlevel exception of $3 million a year — the Lakers cannot take a free agent in a sign and trade deal (unless it brings their team salary under $76 million, which this would not). The new CBA says the Lakers or any team over the tax apron ($4 million above the tax line) can send a player out in a sign-and-trade (Howard, hypothetically) but cannot take a free agent in that way. No way that happens.
It’s interesting to hear the teams thrown out early on, it will be more interesting to see which ones actually offer a contract. One of those teams might be the Bucks.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18