Jun 18, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
There is no doubt — Danny Green has been fantastic in the NBA Finals
Look at his shooting chart, it is ridiculous from three. Green has knocked down 25 threes through five games, the NBA record, shooting 65.8 percent from beyond the arc. He has averaged 18 points a game. He has been key to the Spurs taking advantage of defensive mistakes by the Heat. He has also played good defense, particularly transition defense.
But he is not the MVP for the Spurs if they win this series (although you can make a good case for him).
The reason Green has those looks to knock down is Tony Parker is creating them. Parker is your MVP.
Hamstring issues or no, Parker has carved up the Heat defense to the tune of 16.2 points and 6 assists a game.
More than just points, he has forced Miami to change how it prefers to defend — more than any team the Heat pressure and trap the ball handler, forcing mistakes that become transition baskets the other way. But against Parker the Heat are reluctant because they know he will make them pay with a burst of quickness or a clever pass. So the Heat are more passive, and that has seemed to trickle through to the rest of their game.
It is also Parker who is at the heart of the Spurs strategy to run right back at the Heat, to push the tempo and to not let them fully set their defense. Parker is the key to the mismatches the Spurs have created.
Green is a hot pick among many for MVP, he is the guy scoring the most points and setting the records. But he is doing all that as the beneficiary of Parker.
Green is not the Spur doing the most damage. That is Tony Parker. He is your series MVP.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48