Jun 18, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
Danny Green has been on fire, setting a record with 25 three pointers made — he’s passed Ray Allen and has the record for most threes in the NBA Finals. He just doesn’t seem to miss, having shot 65.8 percent from deep this series.
What is stunning is the quality of looks he’s getting — better than half his looks are uncontested.
“I can’t believe he’s still open at this moment in the series,” Tony Parker said after Game 5. “They are still trapping me and doubling (Tim Duncan) and Danny is wide open. He’s shooting the ball well. If you are going to leave Danny wide open, he’s going to make threes.”
“He has a knack for shooting, but he won’t be open tonight,” Bosh said after shootaround. “We’ll see how he shoots it when somebody’s always on him.”
This is really about the Heat executing their defense.
Erik Spoelstra’s game plan the last three games wasn’t to keep leaving Green wide open, but Dwyane Wade in particular and other Heat wings in general have sagged off or for games now. In transition nobody seems to track him, but even in the half court Heat defenders looking to jump passing lanes lose track of him and two quick passes later he is getting another wide open look. The Heat’s help defense has been weak and the Spurs ball movement has exploited that.
Miami’s focus has been up and down on defense all series. If it is in Game 6, if Green gets going because he has wide open looks, Miami will not be playing in a Game 7, their players will have gone fishing.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9