Jun 18, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
Danny Green has been on fire, setting a record with 25 three pointers made — he’s passed Ray Allen and has the record for most threes in the NBA Finals. He just doesn’t seem to miss, having shot 65.8 percent from deep this series.
What is stunning is the quality of looks he’s getting — better than half his looks are uncontested.
“I can’t believe he’s still open at this moment in the series,” Tony Parker said after Game 5. “They are still trapping me and doubling (Tim Duncan) and Danny is wide open. He’s shooting the ball well. If you are going to leave Danny wide open, he’s going to make threes.”
“He has a knack for shooting, but he won’t be open tonight,” Bosh said after shootaround. “We’ll see how he shoots it when somebody’s always on him.”
This is really about the Heat executing their defense.
Erik Spoelstra’s game plan the last three games wasn’t to keep leaving Green wide open, but Dwyane Wade in particular and other Heat wings in general have sagged off or for games now. In transition nobody seems to track him, but even in the half court Heat defenders looking to jump passing lanes lose track of him and two quick passes later he is getting another wide open look. The Heat’s help defense has been weak and the Spurs ball movement has exploited that.
Miami’s focus has been up and down on defense all series. If it is in Game 6, if Green gets going because he has wide open looks, Miami will not be playing in a Game 7, their players will have gone fishing.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 18
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23