Who is washed up? Ginobili bounces back with huge game to lead Spurs

Jun 17, 2013, 12:31 AM EDT

Spurs' Ginobili goes to the basket past Miami's Wade during Game 5 of the NBA Finals in San Antonio Reuters

SAN ANTONIO — When you walk around San Antonio you see more Manu Ginobili jerseys than anything else Spurs. More than Tony Parker. More than Tim Duncan. More than the Coyote mascot. More than anyone.

But after some rough games through the NBA Finals this year — he was a passive 1-of-5 shooting in Game 4 — the beloved Argentinian was getting ripped by fans and media. And himself.

“I was angry, disappointed,” Ginobili said. “We are playing in the NBA Finals, we were 2-2, and I felt I still wasn’t really helping the team that much. And that was the frustrating part.”

But his teammates never lost faith in him. Neither did coach Gregg Popovich, who said he still trusted Ginobili

Trusted enough that Popovich decided go start Ginobili in Game 5 to counter the Heat’s small ball game and it turned out to be a brilliant move — Ginobili helped fuel the Spurs hot start and finished with 24 points and 10 assists as the Spurs won 114-104 to take a 3-2 series lead.

“I found out yesterday before practice,” Ginobili said about starting. “(Popovich) came to me and told me I was going to start because of the way they had been starting. Not anything else. He wanted to play from the beginning four smalls. So he told me I was going to start….

“I made the first two shots. I played with Tony more, so I was off the ball in more situations. I attacked better, get to the free-throw line a little bit more, and those things combined got me going.”

The Heat’s defense likes to pressure and trap the guy with the ball. When Ginobili comes off the bench for the Spurs he is that guy — Parker and Duncan usually sit and Ginobili has the ball in his hands, he is the focal point of the offense and the defensive pressure.

But in Game 5, while the Heat were pressing Parker, Ginobili was finding his lost rhythm. The first play for the Spurs wasn’t designed for Ginobili, it was actually for Parker but became a broken play where Ginobili drained a long two. It was a shot he needed and after that he started to attack (half his shots came inside the restricted area at the rim).

“The first two long-distance shots went in, and that helped,” Ginobili said. “I knew that I was going to be more aggressive regardless if those shots didn’t go in. But I really didn’t expect a 24-point game. It didn’t happen all season long.”

The assists came in the flow of the offense — Ginobili moved the ball but guys like Danny Green couldn’t seem to miss. The Spurs as a team shot 60 percent, Ginobili himself hit 8-of-14.

Then he keyed a big run — Miami had cut the San Antonio lead to one late in the third when Ginobili led a 19-1 run that included him with seven points and an assist to help put the game away.

And as his points and impact piled up, the fans everywhere wearing his No. 20 jerseys started chanting his name. It rung throughout the AT&T Center.

“I needed it,” Ginobili said. “I was having a tough time scoring, and I needed to feel like the game was coming to me, and I was being able to attack the rim, get to the free throw line, and make a couple of shots.

“So it felt great when I heard that. To feel that I really helped the team to get that 20-point lead, it was a much needed moment in the series. So I’m glad to see it happen.”

He’s not going to hear that kind of love from the crowd in Game 6 on the road Tuesday. However, if he plays like this again what he will hear from the Miami crowd is silence because the Spurs will be on the verge of another title.

Latest Posts
  1. Ricky Rubio never talked to Kevin Love about staying with Timberwolves

Sep 14, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Orlando Magic Minnesota Timberwolves v Orlando Magic

“If he wanted to leave, there’s no reason to talk to him about it,” Rubio said.

2. USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose)

Sep 14, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

James Harden James Harden

The celebration was more entertaining than most of the game.

3. Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92

Sep 14, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT

2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup - Day Fourteen Getty Images

With the win the USA is automatically qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

4. Brooklyn Nets top 10 plays of 2014 season (VIDEO)

Sep 14, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Toronto Raptors - Game Five Getty Images

Lots of Paul Pierce and Shaun Livingston, both of whom left Brooklyn this summer in free agency.

5. Report: Earl Clark gets training camp contract with Memphis

Sep 14, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Earl Clark, Miroslav Raduljica AP

It’s a long shot, but he’s at least got his foot in the door somewhere.

6. Hornets coach says team needs to add ‘another big guy’ following Noah Vonleh’s injury

Sep 14, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Noah Vonleh Noah Vonleh

Vonleh will miss all of the preseason, and his new head coach believes that will cost him an early opportunity to enter the rotation.

7. FIBA not expecting to change World Cup format following Australia’s intentional loss

Sep 14, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

2014-FIBA-Basketball-WorldCup

It was obvious that Australia threw the game against Angola to try to avoid Team USA in the tournament for as long as possible.

8. Gordon Hayward calls time with Team USA a ‘confidence booster’

Sep 14, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Hayward attended training camp, but didn’t make the final cut to be a part of the 12-man roster.

9. Carmelo Anthony reiterates he’s excited to play in triangle offense

Sep 14, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Toronto Raptors Getty Images

Anthony can thrive in the triangle — if he moves the ball.

10. FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold

Sep 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup - Day Eleven Getty Images

Serbia looks on paper to be just another speed bump between the USA and gold.

11. Derrick Rose on his FIBA World Cup performance: ‘I would give it an A’

Sep 13, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

Rose has averaged 5.4 points per game on 27.3 percent shooting.

12. France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze

Sep 13, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Nicolas Batum, Jonas Valanciunas Nicolas Batum, Jonas Valanciunas

Bronze was a quality finish for the defending European champions.

13. New Hawks CEO posts open letter to fans: ‘We are very sorry’

Sep 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Danny Ferry Danny Ferry

Read the entire letter from Atlanta’s new CEO, which details plans on how he intends to change the team culture.

14. Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks

Sep 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v New York Knicks Getty Images

Anthony was very direct in his assessment of the racially insensitive remarks made by the team’s GM and ownership.

15. Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania

Sep 13, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins caught an elbow too, and the teams had to be separated once the game was over.

How has sale of Hawks made other NBA owners nervous?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches