Jun 17, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:45 pm : This is getting close.
The Celtics have agreed no Eric Bledsoe but they want the Clippers to take on one of their bad contracts, either Jason Terry or Courtney Lee. How that shakes out is really all that’s left, according to multiple reports.
12:08 pm: If you’re a Clippers fan who thinks adding Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers to your bench is what puts you over the top (and it might), we have some good news on that trade front.
The two sides are still talking.
If you’re a Boston fan who wants to see Doc coaching KG and Paul Pierce for the Celtics next season, know that could still happen, too.
A lot of things are up in the air. The Clippers/Celtics trade talks that stalled out over the weekend are not dead, the two sides are trying to find a middle ground, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers are discussing possible compromises to including guard Eric Bledsoe into the Kevin Garnett-Doc Rivers deal with hopes of completing an agreement on Monday, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
It’s all stuck on the same points as before. The deal would send Kevin Garnett (who would waive his no-trade clause) and the rights to sign Doc Rivers to the Clippers (Rivers has three years, $21 million left on his deal with the Celtics, he would be let out of that). The Clippers would sign Rivers to a deal similar in money to what he is getting in Boston.
DeAndre Jordan would be headed back to Boston, it is the rest of the package where the two sides disagree. The Celtics want Eric Bledsoe and q first round pick (it used to be two, but that changed). The Clippers want to send out just Jordan and the pick, the want to keep Eric Bledsoe (to flip later in a different deal). After a game of chicken for a few days, the two sides are trying to compromise. Meanwhile, the Clippers have a second interview with coaching candidate Brian Shaw and could hire him or Lionel Hollins and just move on.
If that deal happens a second trade sending Pierce to the Clippers would try to be hammered out at a later date.
If this deal does fall apart, don’t be shocked if Celtics GM Danny Ainge gets everybody back for one more run in Boston. Reports are all the parties — Rivers, KG and Pierce — are open to the idea. If Ainge does not buy out Pierce that is still a real possibility.
Whatever happens, look for it to come down in the next 48 hours.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42