Jun 17, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT
Victor Oladipo has worked out for the Phoenix Suns. In Phoenix, he said he already worked out for the Orlando Magic and planned to work out for the Cleveland Cavaliers, though it’s not clear where those sessions occurred.
Oladipo is preparing for the NBA Draft in Bowie, Md., which is about 20 minutes outside Washington, D.C. Still, Oladipo won’t workout for the Wizards at the Verizon Center, according to Michael Lee of The Washington Post.
But Oladipo will allow the Wizards to come see him. J. Michael of CSN Washington:
Victor Oladipo declined to visit the Wizards for a workout recently, as CSN Washington first reported June 6, but they’re still going to evaluate him before the June 27 draft.
Oladipo, a 6-3 guard from Indiana, is working out in Bowie, Md. and the Wizards expect to visit him later this week or next, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to CSN.
Perhaps, Oladipo’s reasons for refusing to come to Washington are personal – he had a very complicated relationship with his father while growing up in the D.C. area – or professional – the Wizards already have Bradley Beal at shooting guard – or a combination of both.
It seems to me Oladipo would prefer to be drafted elsewhere, but if the Cavaliers (No. 1) and Magic (No. 2) go other directions, Washington (No. 3) would mean more money than the Suns (No. 5) or any other team drafting lower. If the Wizards covet him enough to jump through this relatively minor hoop, that could indicate to Oladipo that they might not be such a bad fit, after all.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 30
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 85
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13