Jun 17, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
Tim Connelly has been a rising star in the front office world. He was with the Wizards and was hired away by the then Hornets (now Pelicans) to be an assistant general manager there behind Del Demps.
Now he’s made the leap to the big chair.
Connelly is going to be the new GM of the Denver Nuggets, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Connelly is part of a younger generation of league executives moving into top management positions around the league, and has been compared favorably to Orlando’s Rob Hennigan and Phoenix’s Ryan McDonough as part of the league’s next crop of bright young minds.
Connelly replaces the well-respected Masai Ujiri who left to take the lead job in Toronto. Denver first targeted their assistant GM Pete D’Alessandro but he has bolted for Sacramento.
Connelly has got a lot of work ahead of him. A lot.
First he has to replace coach George Karl. Whoever doesn’t get the Clippers job — Lionel Hollins or Brian Shaw… or both if the Doc Rivers deal comes through — are considered the front-runner.
Then he has to try to work out a deal with Andre Iguodala, who was a key part of Denver’s 57-win season last year but is opting out of his final year to get the security of a longer deal.
Then there is the whole filling out the front office, the draft and rounding out the right pieces on a roster with potential.
It’s a lot of things on his plate, but Connelly is respected around the league and may well be up to the task.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 2
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 8
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 22