Jun 17, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Tim Connelly has been a rising star in the front office world. He was with the Wizards and was hired away by the then Hornets (now Pelicans) to be an assistant general manager there behind Del Demps.
Now he’s made the leap to the big chair.
Connelly is going to be the new GM of the Denver Nuggets, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Connelly is part of a younger generation of league executives moving into top management positions around the league, and has been compared favorably to Orlando’s Rob Hennigan and Phoenix’s Ryan McDonough as part of the league’s next crop of bright young minds.
Connelly replaces the well-respected Masai Ujiri who left to take the lead job in Toronto. Denver first targeted their assistant GM Pete D’Alessandro but he has bolted for Sacramento.
Connelly has got a lot of work ahead of him. A lot.
First he has to replace coach George Karl. Whoever doesn’t get the Clippers job — Lionel Hollins or Brian Shaw… or both if the Doc Rivers deal comes through — are considered the front-runner.
Then he has to try to work out a deal with Andre Iguodala, who was a key part of Denver’s 57-win season last year but is opting out of his final year to get the security of a longer deal.
Then there is the whole filling out the front office, the draft and rounding out the right pieces on a roster with potential.
It’s a lot of things on his plate, but Connelly is respected around the league and may well be up to the task.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)