Jun 17, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
The Celtics and Clippers are still discussing the trade that would send Kevin Garnett and Doc Rivers to Los Angeles, but the whole deal is predicated on Rivers wanting to coach the Clippers.
Meanwhile, a source close to Rivers told the Globe that Rivers is still grappling with the decision, especially as the trade gets more complicated and negotiations more contentious. The talk of the Clippers acquiring Paul Pierce in the trade are remote, especially since the Celtics would have to honor his deal and send him to the Clippers with a $15 million salary.
Why would Rivers turn this down? Coaching Garnett and Paul Pierce with a better supporting cast seems ideal for him. Washburn explains a possible hang-up:
And don’t expect the Celtics to waive Pierce just to see him sign with the Clippers during free agency. If they decide to trade Pierce, and NBA sources said the team is open to the possibility, they want a return for his services unless waiving him will allow him enough salary cap space to sign a solid free agent.
At a certain point – if it hasn’t already passed – Rivers returning to Boston will be more trouble than it’s worth. He’s essentially telling every Celtic besides Garnett and Pierce he doesn’t want to coach them.
Rivers obviously prioritizes coaching Garnett and Pierce, but if he can bring only Garnett to Los Angeles, that could change the equation. How likely is Pierce to end up with the Clippers, and would Rivers accept that risk? That’s the question the coach must ask himself – just so he’s prepared if the teams ever agree to a trade.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 11
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 34
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 18
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (46)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)