Report: Allen Iverson’s wife claims he abducted their children, has them in Georgia hotel

Jun 17, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT

Allen Iverson’s post-NBA life has been – sad to say, predictably – rough. He’s reportedly losing a lot of money and suffering from alcoholism, and those closest to him are especially worried.

Unfortunately, it can get worse, and it might have already.

TMZ:

Tawanna Iverson just filed legal docs, claiming Allen recently asked for permission to take their five kids on a short vacation to Charlotte, NC from May 22nd-May 26th (and Tawanna agreed) but when May 26th rolled around, the children hadn’t been returned.

The kids range in age from 3 to 16 years old.

In the docs, Tawanna says she tried to set up an exchange on June 4th at a neutral location — a nearby Target store — but A.I. never showed up.

Tawanna — who has sole legal and primary physical custody of their children — now believes Allen never took their kids to Charlotte at all … and is currently keeping them at a Sheraton hotel in Georgia.

Tawanna claims she’s especially concerned because Allen’s an alcoholic who drinks around their kids.

It’s extremely unfortunate, to say the least, when children get sucked into situations like this. Hopefully, there’s a speedy resolution, and Iverson receives the help he needs so his name will stop appearing in headlines for situations like this.

1. goraidersgospurs - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Titus Young or A.I??? Damn I wish Iverson well, I really hope he gets help!!!

2. saint1997 - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM

He’s double crossed her…

• fanofevilempire - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM

nice one, but I feel sad for AI, I hope he gets it together.

3. bifford - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

And this is why you don’t marry a gold digger, children! When the cash runs dry, so do they.

• drewsylvania - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Yeah, Iverson’s DEFINITELY earned the benefit of the doubt since he retired…

• badintent - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:41 AM

At least his mamma didn’t try to sell his high school jockstrap like Kobe’s mommy did.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM

He was with this chick in HS, I think you may be a little off, anyway I
      hope the kids will be alright.

4. danielcp0303 - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Is that NeYo?

5. cmehustle - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM

One of the most disappointing careers ever. Right along with Vince Carter and McGrady. So much more could have happened with A.I. Now he’s turning into a punchline, like Ocho Cinco.

• nmlazfa - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Vince was lazy and Iverson had many issues mainly his attitude. I can’t put McGrady in the same category, injuries derailed a very promising career for him.

• cmehustle - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Yea I got to agree on that McGrady thing. Plus he wasnt drafted as high as the others.

6. djlexluger - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Why did you use a picture of Ne-Yo?

• camiller85 - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I was just about to ask that as well. Because thats either neyo or R. Kelly. Not A.I.

• elcapitanfiscal - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

R kelly don’t pee on me

• cfutch - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Because all black people look alike right? LOL

• jamieaadams - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Ne-Yo? Uh, oh.

• spthegr8 - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I thought it was Tevin Campbell LLS!!!!! I was like DAAAAAAAAMN. What in the Blue HELL happened to him????

7. charlutes - Jun 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Great, now there will be 5 more, ‘Will Iverson return?’ stories, and 20 more, ‘Those Iverson returning stories are dumb’ stories. Can’t wait.

8. nmlazfa - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM

This is the same guy used to leave his kids with strangers, while hooking up with escorts. I think we all know Iverson is pathetic individual and father.

But his fanbase will defend him no matter what.

9. garyreazons55 - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM

That’s a picture of Ne-Yo, not Allen Iverson. Hahahahahahahaha.

10. straighcashhomie84 - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Big Iverson fan here…AI is the reason I started watching basketball again after the 98 lockout. Unbelievable talent. I hope he gets it together

11. asimonetti88 - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I always suspected Ne-Yo of being AI.

12. 00maltliquor - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Ne-Yo: “HEY!, don’t drag me into this!”

13. jthammerstix - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Wait a minute……who is allen iverson?

14. chi01town - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

WAIT.. those are his 5 kids, so why would she lie and say A.I kidnapped
    his OWN kids? he just didnt bring them back yet. and Im SURE he has to pay for them. if she shut up and wait Im sure he will bring them home.

15. trublazer - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM

@saint1997- I was really funny!!!

16. trublazer - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM

*that

17. amoose3 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

So disappointing, I think he’s a good guy who just needs some counseling. My favorite player of all time to watch, easily a top 10 SG ever (so I’m not sure how thats a disappointing career) couldn’t win a championship but had little help, for my money the best pound for pound player of all time.

18. sportsnut101 - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Man iverson was a baller on the court. It’s like the hammer story all his boys n employees used him up for money

If this guy ego wasn’t so big he would still be playing on a team

19. jcrileyesq - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM

amateurbasketballtalk.com until they get the right picture up, jeez

20. txnative61 - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I don’t care much about Iverson or the Ex, they are adults responsible for their actions and mistakes. What did the kids do to deserve this drama? Here’s hoping they can get some stability and normalcy soon.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches