Danny Green sets NBA Finals record for three-pointers made in a series (VIDEO)

Jun 17, 2013, 12:33 AM EDT

SAN ANTONIO — Coming into Game 5, Ray Allen held the all-time record for three-pointers made in an NBA Finals series with the 22 he hit back in 2008 on the way to a championship as a member of the Boston Celtics.

It was only fitting, then, that the shot made by Danny Green in the Spurs’ win over the Heat that gave him the record was so familiarly reminiscent of one that Allen has made so many times in the past.

It was a pull-up, forward-leaning launch in transition that did it, and his hot shooting — 25-of-38 from beyond the arc in the series — has been one of the keys in San Antonio being one win away from an NBA title.

Green didn’t even know the record was within reach.

“I had no idea,” he said. “After the game today I found out. Lucky enough, blessed enough to have the opportunity to be on the stage. My teammates have done a great job of finding me and getting me open, and as I said, luckily it seems everything is going right for me.”

One of his teammates seemed incredulous that Green, as hot as he’s been, continues to get open looks.

“I can’t believe he’s still open at this moment of this series,” Tony Parker said. “They are still trapping me and doubling Timmy, and Danny is wide open. He’s shooting the ball well. If you are going to leave Danny wide open, he’s going to make threes.”

Green, however, doesn’t necessarily believe he’s been as open as everyone seems to think.

“I don’t think many of my shots are that wide open,” he said. “Some of them, yeah, I’m surprised. Tony, Timmy and Manu are doing a great job of sucking in the defense. Us pushing the pace and being able to move the ball gives us open looks.”

The fact that Green broke the record while playing against Allen isn’t lost on him. And while he may not have been aware he had a shot at it heading into this one, now that he owns the record, he’s appreciative of the accomplishment.

“It’s an honor to play on the same floor as some of these guys,” Green said. “Growing up I used to [think about] playing against them all the time.  I didn’t know I would break a record of his. It’s amazing. Very surreal.”

1. 00maltliquor - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Hello big paycheck!

2. tuberippin - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Doing it while Ray Allen sits on the bench and watches.

Baller.

3. cantonbound13 - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Game 6 will be a must win game for SanAntonio, because there is no doubt David Stern will appoint Scott Foster head ref for game 7.
    It is nice to see the cowardly bandwagoners disappear yet again.

4. seanb20124 - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:32 AM

BOHICA

5. kb2408 - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Keep shooting the rock, D. Green! The Spurs are going to have to play their very best Tuesday to beat a desperate Miami squad. The good thing is they’ve already proven that can win in Miami. Miami will come out strong and the Spurs will have to match them. Stay close and Miami will really start to feel the pressure. This feels like 2011 all over again. Hope I’m right!

6. sportfan2 - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM

This kid is very refreshing and so humble. Congratulations to him.

7. acdc363 - Jun 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM

25 of 38?!?!?! This man is a godsend!!

8. mat9844 - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

The NBA at it finest. Really fun to watch.

9. paulhargis53 - Jun 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM

kb aka lakerluver. If you’re right, it will be the very first time ever.

You’re clownshoes.

10. bigbenh8tr - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Where are you Miami fans? Already reading up on the Lakers offseason moves to learn what players to cheer for next season?

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview