Bulls’ legend Scottie Pippen sticks up for Derrick Rose

Jun 17, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Miami Heat - Game Three Getty Images

The next time the Bulls play a game Derrick Rose will be suited up and playing.

Hopefully by a couple games into next season we can all move past the “why didn’t he play last season?” crap.

But for now the issue keeps coming up in Chicago.

It came up again recently when Bulls legend Scottie Pippen told ESPNChicago.com he doesn’t get the attacks on Rose and the criticism of him in general.

“I was kind of surprised people turned on him knowing the difficulty of Derrick’s injury,” Pippen said at Nike’s basketball pro-am at Whitney Young High School on Saturday. “No one can justify what he’s going through. No one can make his decision as to when to get back on the basketball court. I thought he took a little bit of a hit for it.

“As a player that has played this game, I know at the end of the day I’ve had numerous amount of surgeries, and the doctors released me at numerous amount of times to go and play. But a lot of those times didn’t mean go and play against the best in the world right now, but to get yourself ready to compete again. Sometimes as a player, you’re not there yet. The doctor can tell you the headache is gone, but he don’t totally know that it is gone unless he can get in your head.”

`

To sum up, only Rose knew when Rose was ready.

Pippen said he understands fans can be impatient and want to win now, but said players have to know and listen to their bodies.

There is no point to rehashing his decision again. Rose will return next season and in no time Chicago fans will be cheering him full throat and dreaming of an NBA Finals return. And we will all be past this.

1. losanginsight - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Too bad D Rose didn’t come back or else Scotties Jr.,lBJ ,wouldn’t be only one game away from an offseason filled with excuses. Please,no more comparing Scottie Jr to MJ or Kobe. Not on the same Ievel.

• redbaronx - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

@losanginsight – Your comment comparing LeBron to Scottie is “not on the same level”. I’m no LeBron fan as anyone can take away from my posts on Miami and LeBron can attest to. But comparing LeBron to Scottie Pippen is worse then any LeBron > MJ comparison.

Scottie Pippen was a great HOF level player in his own right, but even so, you shouldn’t compare LeBron to Pippen. LeBron takes on more responsibilities for the Heat. With all due respect to Dwayne Wade, Wade is no MJ!! So Scottie had maybe the best all time player alongside him. LeBron has a less than 100% healthy Wade. And even if LBJ had a healthy Wade, the Heat still couldn’t touch those Bulls teams.

2. fugetaboutit - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Go Bulls

3. deiong - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

well hopefully he’ll come back strong.. but still why they protest so much, when its over already…….. hmmmmm. oh well go bulls…

4. logisticalvoices - Jun 17, 2013 at 11:48 PM

“The next time the Bulls play a game Derrick Rose will be suited up and playing.”

Sure about that?

• gmsingh123 - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I’m sure–he’ll be playing Angry Birds on his smart phone.

5. boobcok - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Shocking.

• badintent - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Migraines come to mind ?

• boobcok - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM

That’s true in the first case. I was just making a snarky correlation. My bad.

6. anhdazman - Jun 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Chicago fans, get over it already. Didn’t your mama ever tell you to stop crying over spilled milk?

Over, done with. You keep crying and it’ll give Rose a good reason to get out of Chicago in the future.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I don’t know what I’m more fed up of, Rose injury updates or Robert Kraft getting
      gangsta’d for his 2001 super bowl ring by Putin.
      oh boy!

7. noring4youstill - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Did they ask him about Tipping

8. spideysdog - Jun 18, 2013 at 5:45 AM

your correct Kurt. Fans are fans. Chicago fans will forget it, if/when he returns and is playing at his previous all star level. on the flip side, he’s still going to be followed by this, much as “migraines” are still following Scottie, a decade and a half later.

fans will move on. but the label he acquired, right or wrong, will not be easily lost. as fans we always respect, if not like, the “warrior” mentality. it’s the reason that in many ways unlikeable guys like MJ and Kobe are still so respected.

the one thing I don’t know how DRose ever completely overcomes is the “weak” stigmatism, and I’m not sure that label is unfair.

I ask you this, if this was the quarter finals of the NBA playoffs, would Kobe or MJ have been on that court? and before someone points out that not everyone is MJ or Kobe, which I readily agree with, I will point out that MJ and Kobe account for about 40% of the Rings over the last 2 and a half decades. coincidence?

• Kurt Helin - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM

One season before Rose played through a lot of pain the second half of the season, but this year he wouldn’t play injured. I think that is a big difference.

9. gmsingh123 - Jun 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Scottie has become the Ernie Banks of the Bulls.

10. kb2408 - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I agree completely with Pip. Chicago is fortunate to have Rose. If you don’t appreciate him, my LAKERS will gladly take him off your hands.

11. mclavius - Jun 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM

“boobcok | Jun 18, 2013, 0:12 ‘ EDT
    So the guy who say himself in the playoffs when Dennis Rodman shoved him and sat himself in the playoffs again when his coach called another players number didn’t have a problem with a player sitting himself?”
    Shocking.

Was that against the Knicks when Tony hit the fadeaway jumper for the win as time expired?

12. beaverdam21 - Jun 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I’m only a lukewarm Wizards fan, so have no huge interest one way or the other but I did hear that in recognition of his exceptional talents, the Bulls plan on putting up a statue of Rose outside the arena, only it will be of him sitting on the bench.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches