Jun 17, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
SAN ANTONIO — The MVPs for the Spurs Game 5 win you know — Manu Ginobili came back like the prodigal son to have a huge game, Danny Green knocked down any shot given inside the San Antonio city limits, and Tony Parker continues to be the guy who should get the Finals MVP award if the Spurs win because he makes it all go for them.
Yes, you read that right. Diaw’s defense on LeBron in the second half was key — LeBron shot just 1-of-8 over the big Frenchman.
“Boris is a pretty good defender,” Tony Parker said after the game. “He looks awkward, but he gets the job done. Every time in Europe he guards guys like that, the Kirilenkos, stuff like that, the fours who can’t really move.
“I think it gives a different look for LeBron. Kawhi (Leonard) is doing a great job. The whole team we’re trying to do a good job. I think Boris, we have confidence in him that for a couple of minutes he can do a good job.”
Kawhi Leonard has been doing a good job, but LeBron was attacking for much of the game and Diaw was oddly better suited to deal with that.
Diaw, 6’8” with a body by Whataburger, would stand a few feet off LeBron, put his long arm out to contest a jumper and try to make it hard to drive the lane. LeBron is strong, when he drives he bullies his way to the rim with his shoulder. Diaw’s size lets him absorb that contact in a way Leonard or Gary Neal cannot.
Diaw was on LeBron through the late third quarter and early fourth quarter stretch when the Spurs went on a run to pull away and basically put the game away. LeBron had a free throw in there but little more.
Nobody stops LeBron but the Spurs have contained him this series, for the most part, by throwing a lot of different looks at him — the long and athletic Leonard, the strong Gary Neal, the big body of Diaw. The Spurs bring the doubles in the post on LeBron and make him a passer as much as they can (they will live with the Mario Chalmers three over the LeBron dunk).
It has worked. Expect more Diaw on LeBron in Game 6, and if it works again the Spurs may be hanging out with Larry O’Brien after the game Tuesday.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35